G5200 won't idle

Dans12v

Equipment
G5200, IH 886, IH 444, Mahindra Retriever Diesel, 4 trucks and a Prius
Apr 23, 2020
bossier
Won't idle, runs okay, low on power, runs up to full rpm, no smoke, dies below about 2000rpm, will bog down horrible if you don't slowly engage the blades. Very hard starting, like 20 seconds of cranking.

So, I replaced the orings on the barrel/DV holders because it was dumping more fuel than it burned. This is far from my first diesel or first time in an injection pump.... Doesn't mean I can't make a mistake.

Before I replaced the orings, it ran great, idled fine, plenty of power but poured fuel. Under full load it would just start hazing out the exhaust.

Everything came out and went back together with no force. Everything was immaculately clean. No more fuel leak.

Ideas?

Edit:
Also, only 508hrs. Replaced the coupling and shaft for HST, rebuilt steering and made it partially greasable, a corroded ring terminal on the started caused me no end of electrical woes(fixed now). Completely rebuilt the deck short of the gearbox.

Someone did not take care of it before I got it.

Last edited:

Dans12v

Equipment
Apr 23, 2020
bossier
Update,

Pulled the injection pump apart. Everything is as it should be. Cleaned everything, put it all back together..... Same thing. Low power, hard start, ect...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it ran great before you messed with the injection pump, then whatever you did to the pump has caused the issue.

Did you use Kubota Parts or just generic parts?

You say you took it apart and everything is as it should be, how do you know? Have you rebuilt these exact pumps before?
Did you make sure to not swap any components around, even between individual delivery pumps?

Dans12v

Equipment
Apr 23, 2020
bossier
It could very well be something I did, but it isn't aparent. Hoping someone who has worked on these can say what to check. It does not miss fire or have weak cylinders. I do agree that is it something within the pump and it's associated bits.

I very methodically took it apart, all genuine Kubota parts, not cheap. 6 new oring for the DV/barrel holder, and 3 for the actually DV nut. Like $70 in rubber bits.

Everything is back in it's respective holes and matched to it's original bits. barrels, plungers, adjusting washers in the roller lifters (outers both said 20 and we're thicker than the middle that said 95), spring retainers, DVs all of it was pristine and in their original homes.

This is my first time working on this exact pump, but I have worked on a lot of inline and a few rotary pumps. Lots of bosch and Lucas/cav. Very little roosa though. All the parts look as though the came out of a newish pump. Seating surfaces are clean and not matte or pitted, rollers are fine, I'm aware of the little locating pins for the barrels, I have read somewhere that they are somewhat optional once installed. I don't fully agree, but either way, they are correctly installed. Everything still has that match fit honed machine work.

I wonder if I'm not getting all the air out somehow. I bled the lines for about 30 seconds each with it at full rpm. And that was after the initial flush and bleeding. No one cylinder seems to be the culprit. I noticed no difference. Ran it about 3.5 hours today.

It feel like, for want of a better term, the governor is lazy. I'm not sure what I did that would have affected it though. It isn't responding to changes in load very well. I haven't looked into the governor on these yet, but what I gather is the throttle level adjusts spring tension that sets the gov at an rpm.

Maybe a video tomorrow?

Edit:
I feel I shout also say, the plungers are correctly oriented and not 180 out. Im fairly certain it would run away it they were.

Last edited:

Dans12v

Equipment
Apr 23, 2020
bossier
https://youtu.be/FqGgr6z4ziQ

Last night I rotated the DV holders fully counter clockwise to try and get more fuel. Seems to have helped a bit as it will now idle if yanked back quickly, if pulled back slowly it still dies. The idle hunts ever so slightly.

Power is a little better, and I can now engage the blades more quickly. I still can't engage them at anything below pretty much full rpm. I used to engage the blades at about 1500rpm then rev up in an effort to save the belts. Can't now, slowly or not.

Still bogs, still not so much as a tuft of smoke, still hard start.

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
Check all your fuel connections and fittings for tightness. Seems like air in system or lack of fuel. retrace everything you touched. U will find it.

22R

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Everything points to an Injection pump issue.
Either something is not installed correctly or something it too tight or too loose.

You really need to take it out and have it professionally rebuilt.