G4200 Regulator

chopper698

Equipment
G4200
Jan 30, 2018
Mineola N.Y
So I have been restoring my 84 G4200 tractor and I have it pretty much all wired. I bought new harness wires there were 2 that are discontinued. The old wires were a wreck and I couldn't make heads or tails from them. So I bought a new regulator and the end of it has a 5 wire plug on the end of it. There's no where to plug this into but there are the corosponding wires so I cut the plug off and but connected them. There are 2 blues a black red green and yellow. My question is where does the yellow wire go to? My schematic only shows 3 wires coming off the regulator and one of them is not yellow.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
While you give a good description of what you have, some people are visual thinkers. A photo of what you have can go a long way in aiding their understanding of what you're asking.

Sorry I can't comment on the function of each wire, but I'm certain other will be able to help.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Look at the regulator and tell us what the connections are labeled. Are they marked: B,L,E,F,N,I?

B is battery, E goes to alt (E), I is to ignition switch, N goes to alt marked N, F is "field" and goes to alt F. L goes to the charge light.

Wire colors could vary, but here is what I had. "I" is black with a white tracer, N was white with a black tracer, F white with green tracer, B+ was white, L white with red tracer, E (ground) was black.

Your mileage may vary!!

chopper698

Equipment
G4200
Jan 30, 2018
Mineola N.Y
I will get a picture up later today as far as labels on the regulator there aren't any nor is there a charging light that the yellow wire would go to.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
When I replaced the regulator on my L1500, the new one had 1 extra wire. The shop said that the extra wire was for applications using gas engines.

chopper698

Equipment
G4200
Jan 30, 2018
Mineola N.Y
On the diagram the regulator shows 3 wires the 2 blue go to the alternator and its showing 1red/black wire going to ignition switch.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Your G4200 does NOT have an alternator. (in the same sense of a modern engine) Instead, it uses rotating PERMANENT MAGNETS with an electronic coil surrounding it. Since there is NO BRUSHES... these things are extremely reliable. The only moving part is the bearings which are replaceable.

This is often called a dynamo.

Hence, the regulator is not the same as a modern alternator either. An alternator does its regulation by varying the current through the rotor with a coil.... your dynamo DOES NOT have this kind of design.

Basically, your regulator simply rectifies and regulates using a shunt. Are you CERTAIN that your original regulator is not serviceable?

chopper698

Equipment
G4200
Jan 30, 2018
Mineola N.Y
Yes I understand it's a dynamo and how it works the wiring diagram calls it a generator as well as the regulator. The original regulator is toast, the new one is wired as the electrical diagram says with the black being the ground. The green and yellow will not be used.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
So I have been restoring my 84 G4200 tractor and I have it pretty much all wired. I bought new harness wires there were 2 that are discontinued. The old wires were a wreck and I couldn't make heads or tails from them. So I bought a new regulator and the end of it has a 5 wire plug on the end of it. There's no where to plug this into but there are the corosponding wires so I cut the plug off and but connected them. There are 2 blues a black red green and yellow. My question is where does the yellow wire go to? My schematic only shows 3 wires coming off the regulator and one of them is not yellow.
You likely have the regulator for a dynamo with three output wires instead of the two you have.

So if that is the case, to help you more info needed.

Info where you bought the new regulator and the part number.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Chopper
I am confused.
Your original post said they new regulator had 5 wires.

One day ago you said new regulator had 6 wires and the old one had 5.

With the newer style you need two connections to the ignition switch. One to terminal 30 and the other to ACC.

Am I correct in thinking whatever wiring harness you bought it does not correspond to the new regulator you also bought?

I suggest you need to be careful and not run the tractor until this is sorted out as you could fry the regulator or dynamo.

As I said previously, to help you more info is needed and now I am suggesting a photo of the back of the key switch as well.

Adding a charge light might be a good idea.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Chopper

I have continued to study the wiring diagram in the WSM for your tractor.

It looks like the second wire to the ACC terminal on the Key switch is to provide power for the charge light indicator before you have the Key switch to ON.

Sort of like on your car or truck when you hit the key switch Accessory position and all the warning lights come on to verify that the bulbs are working.

It sounds like you cut some terminal on either the new harness or the new regulator. Which one?

Dave

chopper698

Equipment
G4200
Jan 30, 2018
Mineola N.Y
I didn't cut any wires from the harness, the only thing I cut was the plug off the regulator. The plug on the regulator has 6 wires not 5 lIke the old regulator/rectifier.
Blue- dynamo
Blue- dynamo
Red- plugs into the red wire in the new harness which leads up to the ignition switch
Black- ground
Yellow- doesn't get used
Green- Wire has an eyelet which grounds to regulator mounting bolt

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I didn't cut any wires from the harness, the only thing I cut was the plug off the regulator. The plug on the regulator has 6 wires not 5 lIke the old regulator/rectifier.
Blue- dynamo
Blue- dynamo
Red- plugs into the red wire in the new harness which leads up to the ignition switch
Black- ground
Yellow- doesn't get used
Green- Wire has an eyelet which grounds to regulator mounting bolt
Chopper

Seems unusual to have two ground wires. The black and then the green.

Do you still need advice? If not I will stop bothering you.

If yes then plse give me more info as requested previously in several posts.

Dave