G1800s Front wheel removal, How to?

RSole

Equipment
G1800S
May 24, 2024
Eastern Ontario, Canada
My G1800S front tires are cracked, I want to pour in FlatOut to seal them.
Regardless of my reasons, how do I pull the wheels off the axles? I don't want to pound on the axle tip and round it over, making removal impossible. I searched the internet and this site is my last hope. Please and thank you!

RSole

Equipment
G1800S
May 24, 2024
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Okay, the other tractor site had some members who used BFH (very large hammer) and a block of wood, pounding on the back side of the rim. If anyone here has another suggestion please tell.
One thought I had was to use dry ice to shrink the axle whilst heating up the wheel hub with a heat gun, but that sounds too complicated, and where do I get dry ice?

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810, 1974 Wheel Horse C100
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Remover cotter pin and clean any grease. Small file or sandpaper and re-taper the end. This should help get rid of rust and where someone innits past used a hammer on it and flattened it out.

RSole

Equipment
G1800S
May 24, 2024
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I sprayed the axle with Kroil and hammered the back of the wheel, but it's stuck solidly.
Remover cotter pin and clean any grease. Small file or sandpaper and re-taper the end. This should help get rid of rust and where someone innits past used a hammer on it and flattened it out.
The rust is under and between the bearings, unreachable with sandpaper. I sprayed the axle with Kroil, hammering the back of the wheel produced no movement.

Torinodan

Equipment
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Yeah, had one like that too. Just don't beat the axel because it will mushroom just looking at it.
Do you have a heat gun? The one I had stuck I also removed the spiral clip ring from the outboard bearing and that gave the wheel some moving room back and forth.
Once you get started your committed to replace the bearings as one of them is going to get trashed or cut in half when you get the wheel off.

Torinodan

Equipment
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Don't know if yours would still have that ring I mentioned. It was used to keep the bearings from being pressed too far in.

Attachments

RSole

Equipment
G1800S
May 24, 2024
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Yes, mine has the retainer ring on each bearing.
I finally got the wheel off! A small sledge hammer against a block of wood finally loosened it. Kroil penetrant may have helped. Oddly, the other front rim had two holes 180 degrees apart, close to the hub, as if meant for puller bolts. Though the rim would bend if using only a puller, whacking the back with a hammer while pulling , might break it loose sooner.

I polished the axle with sandpaper, coated it with nuclear grade nickel anti-seize and reinstalled the wheel.

Reactions: 1 user