Fuel Jelling or Gelling :)

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
As Dave stated, get most of the old fuel out. Adding additive under freezing doesnt do nothing. Most people miss this: it needs to be mixed above freezing and prior to gelling. Otherwise the additive just sticks to the sides of the tank, does nothing. I wouldnt use too much, probably no-lubrication or less. Diesel 911 will work, but probably sure its hardier on the machine, emergency use only. Gelled fuel and filters can come back to normal when warmed up, do you have that warm garage, but if the temp is the same or lower, change filters and fuel. Otherwise same situation will occur, good luck.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
The diesel 911 will not harm your engine. In fact power service says right on the bottle that you can not over use the product. Depending on the outside temp you may have to double treat the fuel, so instead of one bottle treating 100 gallons, you use one bottle to treat 50 gallons. I drive truck for a living in Michigan so I speak from experience.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Actually, you can put in too much Diesel 911. I tried filling the filter, once, with 911, and the engine in question would start, but would stall if you bumped the throttle, even a tiny amount. Solution was to let it run at idle for about a half an hour. THis might be temp related, incident happened in may or june...:D:D

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
The reason it was stalling is because of your gel situation. Putting the 911 in your filter housing was the correct way to do it and then dumping it into your fuel tank to treat the tank...It is not an instant fix and needs time to do its magic. Usually letting it sit for about ten minutes and then firing it up and letting it idle for twenty to thirty minutes is the best way to get it to operate the way it should and let the product circulate through the tank and lines. I've come into work a few times and even with treated fuel at-20 and fired up the over the road tractor, watched the filter restriction gauge climb and peg out in thirty seconds. It barely hobbled into the fuel island. But that is the procedure the mechanics use, you can't just pour and go. That's why it would stall when you bumped the throttle. Last winter I could feel my truck starting to lose power and then a cylinder or two, as it was-30. My fuel was triple treated with power service. Had to pull over on the side of us23 and dump in the 911 and then took off right away. That is the only case where you can do the pour and go, that is you start noticing the problem and you add the product. Power lose went away after a couple miles and was able to get filter changed at the end of my run. But like I said, the power service will not harm your pump or engine.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
The reason it was stalling is because of your gel situation. Putting the 911 in your filter housing was the correct way to do it and then dumping it into your fuel tank to treat the tank...It is not an instant fix and needs time to do its magic. Usually letting it sit for about ten minutes and then firing it up and letting it idle for twenty to thirty minutes is the best way to get it to operate the way it should and let the product circulate through the tank and lines. I've come into work a few times and even with treated fuel at-20 and fired up the over the road tractor, watched the filter restriction gauge climb and peg out in thirty seconds. It barely hobbled into the fuel island. But that is the procedure the mechanics use, you can't just pour and go. That's why it would stall when you bumped the throttle. Last winter I could feel my truck starting to lose power and then a cylinder or two, as it was-30. My fuel was triple treated with power service. Had to pull over on the side of us23 and dump in the 911 and then took off right away. That is the only case where you can do the pour and go, that is you start noticing the problem and you add the product. Power lose went away after a couple miles and was able to get filter changed at the end of my run. But like I said, the power service will not harm your pump or engine.

For the record, it was a new filter, that was filled with 911. I had had water, in the old filter, and was too lazy to fill the new filter with diesel, as I had the 911 bottle nearby, I used that. I suspect the engine will run on it, pure, just not well. I know it did no harm, tractor is still running today. Just don't try running it at more than a 50/50 mix, I think the 911 bottle even has that printed on it...:D:D

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks. I'll double up on the dose already in my fuel can and add some extra to the BX today, then take it out and down the dirt road for a thirty minute run (see if the mail or newspaper is there!)

Some fuel additives, if you add too much, have a deleterious effect on the fuel system. If the only side effect of adding too much is a little dent in the wallet, I'd rather have that than to ruin a battery, starter motor or just not be able to work. I doubt I'll use 8 gallons of fuel between November and March. Phhhht!