Fuel gauge not working

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
The fuel gauge on my L 3301 is always on full. I looked around and only see a small vent tube on top of the tank. Just wondering where they hid the float sending unit. Thanks

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It is a pain in the butt to get out!

The float/sensor assembly is under the orange plastic that surrounds the gauge panel. Remove the hood, makes it a lot easier in the long run. A few bolts and the plastic surround parts come right off. Then, once that's out of the way, you'll find that there's a big metal support that holds the fuel tank. That big thing is RIGHT over the top of the sending unit, so you'll have to at the very minimum loosen the bolts that hold that support to the tractor, so that it'll move JUST (barely) far enough for you to access the screws in the sending unit, and then pull it out.

Chances are good that the sending unit is rusted. If it's got any warranty on it, I'd suggest letting a tech do the job. It's not much fun.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
It may be normal. My 2501 always shows full. I did a search here and found that they all do until the tank gets really low. Kind of worthless really. I can understand not having an accurate reading bouncing around but when you first start it up it should read correctly.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The tank is shaped odd. The top of the tank is big, wide. About halfway to the bottom of the tank, it's shape changes to a tall, narrow shape. This accounts for why the sensor reads full most of the time. The tank is not square, so at "half", it may only have a gallon left, but from half to full, it may be another 5 gallons. My car is like this. Run 300 miles from "F" to "1/2", and 50 miles from "1/2" to dead.

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
Thanks guys! That is all good information. I don't let the tank get very empty. I'm in the habit of refueling after nearly every use. Tractor only uses about .6 gal/hr @ 2000 rpm. I only checked it once.