Fuel Additive

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I have a L355ss and this is my first diesel I've ever had. I picked up the Power Service Diesel 911 the red bottle and realized later the its for after the fact to correct the fuel problem. So went and bought Power Service Diesel Fuel supplement in the white bottle. I was going to add it to the fuel tank and fill with gas but after reading the bottle it says not to add it if temperature is above 30 F. Should I wait till the cold sets in or is it okay to add it now. I cant see how it would make a difference.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I personally don't start using PS white until winter, although some folks use it year round.
I use PS in the silver bottle in the summer, and around december switch to the winter version.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I would follow the label. The PS silver or summer additive does a good job helping cold starts before the really cold weather sets in. Jeff

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Katie my L4600 gets the additive both summer and winter it is really cheap and she is a fuel sipper. I top her off each time it gets to 3/4 tank, just emptied my last can with summer additive so now I will run her down to a 1/4 tank which will take me into the cold months as I do not use much fuel this time of year as garden is done, brush hogging done, and raod scraping minimal.

I will fill my cans on over in November and add winter additive white bottle and run that through February here in NC.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Inserting the below from another post discussing similar question

I use Power Service Diesel Kleen the white bottle in the winter and grey bottle in the summer.

Does it help I cannot prove it but I do know I have had no problems fuel related since taking recommendations from here to use it.

It is cheap and insurance to me. I have a measuring container that has ounces marked on it and I took a black marker and marked where to fill for my various containers, 1 gal and 2.5 gal containers. I use 1 ounce per gallon.

Here is a link to the Power Service website, it can be purchased at most any auto parts store at least here in NC.

Jay

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/...-cetane-boost/

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Sorry if this derails the thread. I've seen several threads on here about fuel additives, but don't recall any about adding a biocide like Biobor JF to the fuel. Does anyone here use a biocide? When I worked in nuclear power, we didn't add any additives to the emergency diesel fuel tanks except for Biobor.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
Here in the central Vermont we start purchasing winter mixed fuel in early November, I have been told by my dealer that is generally good to approx. Zero degrees +/-, so I also add Power Service. How far South do you need to go before winter mix is no longer available I do not know. I have never had an issue with my old B7100 Kubota, but I added 8-12 oz. of Power Service to the 2.5-3 gallon tank. This winter will be a learning experience with my new L3901, below are some previous learned experiences, the hard way.

In my 04 Dodge Cummins I typically add 8-12 oz. to each fill up, about 20 gallons into a 33 Gal. tank. I have twice experienced gelling of the fuel in my truck. In retrospect I had not add enough PS to compensate for unanticipated large temperature drops. The first time I experienced this issue was in my driveway the engine quit and would not restart, it took 18 hours to get my truck running again after installing a new fuel filter, 911 in the filter and fuel tank along and tarping my truck with a salamander running underneath, the temperature if I recall somewhere near -20+ with a stiff wind. The second time years later on my way home from work at 1:00 am, again the temp was near -20, I pulled off the side of the road, again replaced the fuel filter and filled it with 911 and the remainder in the fuel tank and limped home at 5 MPH for 15 miles. The next morning she fired up and ran like a top.
I put 1 gallon of PS in my Motor Homes 100 gallon fuel tank and have never had an issue, starts all winter. As I mentioned the right concentration in the tank long before any unanticipated temperature drops is probably the key, and make sure you have run the equipment long enough to mix in the complete fuel system and make sure that the water bowl is drained.

As an added insurance I add ½-1 gallon of Kerosene to my truck at each fill up in the dead of winter since it sits Idle for most of the winter now, unless needed for dump trips or plowing on really nasty days, I would not recommend this to anyone especially in a new machine it could create warranty issues since the engine may run a bit hotter and there is less lubricity to the fuel that can affect many components, check with your dealer before attempting this process.

I also add Biobor in my Motor Home since it is apt to set for 3-4 months in the summer without being run enough to use a full tank. I have been told by the local diesel shops it is not need where I live, we do not get enough warm weather to cause fungus in the fuel, but I have heard of some expensive horror stories, it is in my MH tank as cheap insurance.

I Mention these stories because it is one thing to run out of fuel at 70 degrees and I have done it, but quite another at 20 below zero or colder in the middle of your driveway or on the side of the highway, memorable but not fun. And as one of this sites member post states and I will not quote, you cannot live enough to make all the mistakes yourself so learn from others mistakes.

Last edited: