Front End Loader Curl not holding position

TomD406

Equipment
L2500
Feb 11, 2024
Helena, Montana
I have a older 2500L with a bush hog Front End Loader. The curl cylinders are not able to hold position over time. It takes only a few minutes for the cylinders to fully extend out if the bucket is not down on the ground. Hydraulics are kind of a mystery to me. I'm usually ok with mechanics in general but with hydraulics i'm lost. The overall fluid level is good and both the main lifting cylinders and the 3 point arms seem to hold their positions.

Thanks in advance!

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Could need to rebuild your hydraulic rams, that's what fixed mine, at only 400hrs on it. Otherwise could be the Spool/Control valve. Start with the rams.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Could need to rebuild your hydraulic rams, that's what fixed mine, at only 400hrs on it. Otherwise could be the Spool/Control valve. Start with the rams.
Yep, most likely the cylinders need rebuilt with new seals.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a older 2500L with a bush hog Front End Loader. The curl cylinders are not able to hold position over time. It takes only a few minutes for the cylinders to fully extend out if the bucket is not down on the ground. Hydraulics are kind of a mystery to me. I'm usually ok with mechanics in general but with hydraulics i'm lost. The overall fluid level is good and both the main lifting cylinders and the 3 point arms seem to hold their positions.

Thanks in advance!
Most likely the piston seals in one or both cylinders are leaking. To test the cylinders disconnect the base end hose at the control valve and cap it. Start the tractor and move the loader control lever to curl and hold it there. The cylinders should not move. If the cylinder(s) extend the seals are leaking.

Dan

Last edited:

TomD406

Equipment
L2500
Feb 11, 2024
Helena, Montana
Thank you for the advice all. I've had to focus on other issues for the past few days. Will get a chance to try out the test on these. May have more questions when I get over my head!