Front axle leak on L4740

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
Hello all,
Last week i discovered a leak from the right side front axle just inside the tire. I did find several threads discussing front axle leaks but none specifically for the L4740.

What is the difficulty level for the repair? Any special tools required? Anyone have a specific work procedure?

Any other advice to fix this issue?

Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I didn't see the L4740 WSM on Kubotabooks site, so I'm sending you a link to download it.
No special tools required, check the bearings for any slop or wear as that will affect seals.

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I had the same issue on my L3750 and found that the Kubota dealer had a pvc vent to replace the axle dipstick. It fixed the problem. I guess the oil in the front axle would heat up and with no vent, find it's way out the seals. I don't have the part number but maybe your dealer would know it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Is the leak at the kingpin (where the knuckle pivots for the steering) or is it at the actual wheel hub? Jack up the front end and see if there's any looseness in the wheel. Sometimes the hub bearing fails and then the seal begins to leak. It's not hard to fix. A little tedious but not hard if you have any mechanical knowledge and a few tools. Refill with 80w90 gear oil. I like gear oil as it leaks out slower when it does develop a leak than the Super UDT that comes in them.

There's also a vent line on the center of the axle that needs to stay clean. I consider that a regular service item. If/when it gets plugged, the axle can build pressure inside of it and I personally don't think there's enough pressure to make a seal leak unless the seal has another problem, but it's always a good idea to keep it cleaned out.