Front Axle/Hub showing Rust

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 BX1880 w FEL, 54"MMM, 2019 BX2816 50 " snowblower
Dec 12, 2017
NY
hey guys, I got a question for y'all. My BX has developed rust on the front axle/ hub area after only like 30 hrs. My machine is garage kept and cleaned regularly (O.C.D complex).... Its been through one winter and and eighth of a mowing season so far, so I find it surprising that rust has appeared on both sides already. Does anyone have similar issues, or is this a known issue ? Im sending some pics too for review.....thanks for the info!!!!!

Last edited:

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 12, 2017
NY
Thx for the reply.....I asked the dealer to see if there was anything he could do since its still so new...I will see what he says other than rust is not covered under warranty....I just wondered if this was a regular issue that occurred or if I was an isolated incident.

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
That seems like a one-off situation.

My BX is 7 years old and doesn't have rusting on the front axle.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
What do you expect in your area? In winter there is salt all over the roads and steel and salt don't mix well. Also let me tell you of the City of Madison street maintenance trucks. They wanted to keep them looking nice so every night they were washed, summer and winter in the garage. turns out they rusted out very early on, as compared to other vehicles that weren't so "well taken care of". It backfired on well meaning guys.

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 12, 2017
NY
What do you expect in your area? In winter there is salt all over the roads and steel and salt don't mix well.
What I expected was that the paint would hold up more than 6 months and 30 hours regardless of geographic location.

Reactions: 1 user

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Your expectations are too high. Manufacturers don't use primer anymore, so it is just paint on steel. Plus, you may not have had it too long, but how long did it sit on a tractor lot? Cheap paint jobs take a beating in the hot sun, and the fact is, tractors (and implements) don't get the same quality paint jobs that automobiles do.
Has your tractor been anywhere near snow covered roads? The salts and chemicals used are harsher than ever- if it has been, that will accelerate rust.
I doubt that the dealer will do anything. If it were mine, I'd pull the wheels off, remove the rust, then prime and paint it. In the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't take too much work or money, and it will probably last longer than what was applied at the factory.