Front axle gear oil weird smell

calvery

Feb 26, 2015
Whitwell, TN
I'm new so thanks for letting me come to ya'll with a question. I noticed that there is a weird smell coming from the front axle which I'm assuming is some gear oil leaking from the front axle. Anyone know what would cause this?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Posting what model tractor you have and some close up pictures would help a lot getting responses to your question.

calvery

Feb 26, 2015
Whitwell, TN
It's a kubota L2900, there isn't anything to really take pics of other than the front axle but you can't really see anything odd just smell the oil.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
It's possible you're smelling gear oil but it almost always has to be leaking to do so unless it's dripping on something hot. I'd start out by looking it over carefully and make sure you don't have a hydraulic leak somewhere.

forgot to add...... check your levels, perhaps that'll narrow down what is leaking.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Leaking seal will cause a leak of oil and if it smells burnt, bad bearings.
Need more info on the area it's leaking at!
Smell the transmission fluid does it smell the same?
If it does than nothings wrong. ;)

calvery

Feb 26, 2015
Whitwell, TN
I should have mentioned that it was leaking a drop or so a minute for a while. I eventually drained and replaced the old oil and it stopped the dripping oil but I'm sure its still weeping. I need to change the seals but I just haven't got around to it. So what you're saying is the gear oil after being put into duty would have a bit of a smell to it and I'm only smelling it because of the leak?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I should have mentioned that it was leaking a drop or so a minute for a while. I eventually drained and replaced the old oil and it stopped the dripping oil but I'm sure its still weeping. I need to change the seals but I just haven't got around to it. So what you're saying is the gear oil after being put into duty would have a bit of a smell to it and I'm only smelling it because of the leak?
normal gear oil smells like piss in a radiator...:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Gear oil has a bad smell anyway, and gets worse with age :rolleyes:

calvery

Feb 26, 2015
Whitwell, TN
I used 80w90. I think I just need to bite the bullet and replace the seals to stop the weeping. While I'm in there I will check the bearings to see if they need replacing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I used 80w90. I think I just need to bite the bullet and replace the seals to stop the weeping. While I'm in there I will check the bearings to see if they need replacing.
Actually the front axle on that probably takes UDT, might check the specs as a heavy oil can cause damage. ;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Did you smell the gear oil (I don't mean stick your nose in it and smell it, but catch a whiff as you worked) when you put it in, and does the smell you are getting now the same? As mentioned, gear oil stinks. If it spilled when putting it in, or you have a leak, or otherwise some oil is on the outside of the axle, you will get the smell.

calvery

Feb 26, 2015
Whitwell, TN
When I put it in I smelled it but thats been 6 months and it still smells and is a little different smell more burnt smelling and pretty strong.

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
when you are smelling it strong, Feel all around wheel hubs,
and front end housing for any kind of hot spots. You could be in the early stage of a bearing problem. check for extra heat around where you are seeing any leaking, (heat/loose bearing will damage seals)