Front Axle Final Drive Repair - L245DT

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
My front axle final drives have finally given up. Time for new bearings and seals, hopefully the gears are still serviceable. I haven't taken it apart yet.

L245DT. Can anyone tell me whether or not the fixed castings need to come off of the axle tube ends, or do I only have to remove the lower castings that rotate back and forth for steering? Looks like the vertical shaft should come out the bottom from the parts diagram.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I sent you an email for the WSM, I think it can do a better job of explaining it than I can. ;)
If you still need more info can do that too.:D

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Thanks Wolfman, at first glance that version looks better than the WSM that I bought from Messicks a few years ago. Your version has more text describing the work than mine does. Between the two I should be able to get it figured out.

I got parts on order and should get into it this week.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Finished up this job over the weekend. Took me a long time to get the first side disassembly figured out, then the second side was quick and easy. Not much required for special tools. I did press a few parts gently, but a gentle hammer could do most of it. There are internal and external snap rings.

Biggest thing I have to pass along is the bearings are secured into the castings by snap rings behind the seals. This was not clear to me looking at the exploded views in the parts manual. If you try to push the bearings and seals together because you didn't realize there was a snap ring hidden under the seal, you'll be kicking yourself when you figure it out, I sure was. And to answer my original question, yes, everything needs to come off the axle tube ends to get at all the bearings and seals. There's a snap ring only accessible from the axle tube mating opening.

I continue to be amazed at the part availability for this old tractor, Whenever I call for parts, Kubota and my local dealer have parts for me before the weekend, every time. Finished it up and the kingpins and bushings are also shot, so I'll be replacing those this weekend. Other than ~$600 worth of parts, I'm happy to have the front end in good shape again. It was worn and leaking when I bought it.

mwjoerin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1981 L245DT, FEL, 4' Rotary Mower, 41" Tiller, PTO Sprayer, Hiller, Cultivator
May 18, 2014
SW Washington State
I may find myself doing the same repair. I appreciate the heads up on the snap rings. By chance did you take any pictures of the disassembly that you can share?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
It bears mentioning to replace the snap rings with the 'rough edge' out. Snap rings are stamped and one edge is smooth, the other sharp or rough. The rough edge goes out and tends to lock the snap ring in place under any pressure.

Reactions: 1 user