FrankenTraktor Project

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I seem to have fallen into the habit of finding dead tractors and fixing them up. I even made a couple of bucks on one, the Satoh S650G that I'm pretty sure I chronicled here.

Late last year, I spotted a Shibaura SD1400B on Craigslist. That's a Gray Market 2 cylinder diesel with an 8 speed (4x2) trans, two speed PTO and a 3 point hitch. I knew the rear wheels were locked up, but at the price I figured I'd take a chance. Long story short on that one, the ring and pinion were shelled out and parts were nowhere to be found. The engine was sweet and everything else was in good shape, but without a source for parts it was a dead end.

Considered various options and it really came down to finding a way to use that sweet little engine. Spent many a morning cruising Craigslist looking for a suitable candidate for an engine transplant. In the end, I wound up buying a John Deere 455 from an acquaintance. I'd been nursing that poor thing along with baling wire and bubble gum for years, but it finally succumbed to the abuse and barfed up the 3 cylinder Yanmar engine. We discussed rebuilding or replacing the engine some years back but there was no funding so it sat out in the weather for 4-5 years. I worked a deal with him and after selling off some stuff wound up paying $50 out of pocket for it:

455.jpg

As you can see, the plastic was completely trashed, but the tires held air and I had reason to believe the shaft-driven hydro trans was still functional.

Took me about a week of fooling around to get the Shibaura engine mounted in the JD frame but as the video below shows it actually went quite well.

Video

I'm working on the sheet metal now, dealing with some rust and preparing to touch up the paint. That, a seat, and some cleaning up of the wiring harness is about all that's left.

Reactions: 7 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Love your projects! Shows how much you can get done without those sheep.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Very cool! I also look forward to your projects, keep 'em coming.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
I had a Shibaura SD1500AO and it was a tough little tractor. It sipped fuel and "stuttered" just like yours!

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
I eat this kind of stuff up with a spoon.

Love it....good show!

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
What with selling, then not selling, then retro-fitting a tool shed into a heated shop, the FrankenTraktor has been on the back burner for quite a while.

One of the many problems it came with is VERY sloppy steering. Both outer tie rod ends were literally held on with baling wire as they were so worn the balls would fall out of the sockets. This made it wander very badly, requiring constant and large steering inputs to stay between the lines.

I ordered new ends quite a while back and they've been sitting on the bench waiting for me to have time to install them. Found a spare hour this morning so I popped the tie rods off the tractor and swapped in the new ends. I just left the jam nuts more-or-less where they were as a starting point for the adjustment.

After installing them I went for a test drive and things were MUCH improved but still showed some tendency to wander. "Toe-in issue," sez I, so I set about measuring it. 2-1/2 inches! Pretty sure that's too much.

Adjusted it down to about an inch but didn't get to try it before other duties got in the way (again...). Remembered I had the PDF service manual so I looked up the spec - 1/4 inch!!

Gee, Scooter, ya think that might've been some of the problem with the steering?

Hope to make time to adjust it to specs and try it again this evening.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I seem to have fallen into the habit of finding dead tractors and fixing them up. I even made a couple of bucks on one, the Satoh S650G that I'm pretty sure I chronicled here.

Late last year, I spotted a Shibaura SD1400B on Craigslist. That's a Gray Market 2 cylinder diesel with an 8 speed (4x2) trans, two speed PTO and a 3 point hitch. I knew the rear wheels were locked up, but at the price I figured I'd take a chance. Long story short on that one, the ring and pinion were shelled out and parts were nowhere to be found. The engine was sweet and everything else was in good shape, but without a source for parts it was a dead end.

Considered various options and it really came down to finding a way to use that sweet little engine. Spent many a morning cruising Craigslist looking for a suitable candidate for an engine transplant. In the end, I wound up buying a John Deere 455 from an acquaintance. I'd been nursing that poor thing along with baling wire and bubble gum for years, but it finally succumbed to the abuse and barfed up the 3 cylinder Yanmar engine. We discussed rebuilding or replacing the engine some years back but there was no funding so it sat out in the weather for 4-5 years. I worked a deal with him and after selling off some stuff wound up paying $50 out of pocket for it:

View attachment 59421

As you can see, the plastic was completely trashed, but the tires held air and I had reason to believe the shaft-driven hydro trans was still functional.

Took me about a week of fooling around to get the Shibaura engine mounted in the JD frame but as the video below shows it actually went quite well.

Video

I'm working on the sheet metal now, dealing with some rust and preparing to touch up the paint. That, a seat, and some cleaning up of the wiring harness is about all that's left.
Yankee ingenuity.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
My Shop Remodeling Project has been taking up all my time, plus it's been too damn hot for this old Yankee to be putzing around outdoors for most of the last couple of weeks. Unusual this early in the year.

Big thunderstorm came through late yesterday, MUCH cooler today. Showery, but I'll take that over 90+ heat and humidity.

Shop project is on hold waiting on the electrician and the utility folks to get power hooked up, so I was scratching my head thinking of things to do and decided to fix a couple of minor things on the FrankenTraktor.

First, I was getting a scraping noise every now and then (or more often, my hearing isn't much good any more) and knew that one source was the hard line for the hydraulic oil cooler (which is part of the radiator) was touching the drive shaft as the engine wobbled around on it's rubber mounts. Also noticed that the pinion on the starter wasn't retracting far enough back and was kissing the back of the flywheel.

Starter was an easy fix, just shimmed it back a skosh with some fender washers.

Hard line was more of an issue. Plan A was to take it off and tweak the shape around the driveshaft for more clearance. That turned out to be more work than I was willing to do as I'd have to take a significant portion of the tractor apart to get it off.

Plan B was to move the radiator up in the mounts a bit. That turned out to be a bit easier, just undid the top bolts that hold it in, picked it up a bit with the hoist, slid some 1/4" plywood blocks under the bottom, set it back down, redrilled the top mounting holes and bolted it back in.

Then I decided to figure out why the front PTO wasn't working from the switch. I pretty much knew it was a wiring issue as the switch wasn't a direct replacement. Started by manually applying 12V to the PTO solenoid to make sure it was working and then got the meter out and figured out which of the 8 wires going to the switch controlled the solenoid. After that, it was a matter of finding a terminal on the switch that was hot only with the switch in the ON position and making sure that the start lockout still worked so the engine would only crank with the PTO in the OFF position. Some thinking and a bit of trial-and-error later, that's fixed.

Now I just need to figure out what the heck I'm going to DO with a third tractor...

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
All my other projects are on hold for one reason or another and the remnants of Ida are passing through so rain and wind pretty much make outdoor stuff a pain.

Got a little bored (ALWAYS a dangerous and usually an expensive thing for me) so decided to investigate why the Shibaura engine was being such a miserable PITA to start.

First thought was dead glow plugs, so I pulled them out and hooked them to my bench power supply. After a few seconds they started glowing red hot just like they should.

Second thought was the glow plug timer that's built into the electronics on the JD chassis wasn't giving them enough current (my power supply indicated about 3 amps at 12vdc) so I thought "OK, I'll hook them direct to the battery via a momentary switch and an indicator light and run them manually".

Per my usual practice, I buffed up all the connections before reassembling and wired them back up to the onboard timer and thought "Those connections were pretty grungy, I should probably try it again to see if cleaning them helped."

Two glow cycles later, she cranked right up!

I'm going to wire an indicator into the circuit as right now I'm listening for the relay to drop out and being old and more than a little hard of hearing, that's not very efficient. The original indicator was part of the totally trashed JD dash panel and I wasn't able to save it.

Good news is that it's an easy (and cheap) fix. Bad news is, now I'm out of things to do again...

Reactions: 2 users

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
Well done. How about a new video?

Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
ft2.jpg

Now that the glow plugs are operating correctly and it starts MUCH better, I did a little detail work.

ft1.jpg

I blanked off the hole for the old instrument panel (which was trashed when I got the tractor) and added a new one. The mechanical tach from the Shibaura wouldn't fit where the old panel was. Also added an ammeter and a glow plug indicator light. I was going by listening for the glow plug relay to drop out, but with my hearing (or rather, lack thereof) that wasn't really practical.

Some day when I'm REALLY desperate for something to do, I may do something about covering the engine.

Reactions: 1 users