fluid change

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I have a L355SS and it runs excellent. I change the oil and filter every year, grease it and give it a good once over every spring. I only use it for bush hogging and only put about 35 hours it during the summer. My question is: Is it necessary to change the hydraulic fluid every year with such a minimal amount of hours of usage each summer. It has 2380 hours on it and it runs fine. I have not changed the fluid in the last 2 years and was wondering if that would cause any problems. It is kept in an enclosed unheated garage over the winter.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
You should check your owners manual but im sure it gets changed every few hundred hours.

My little BX is every 400 hours after the 50 hour service.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Probably every 300-400 hrs is rated interval. If it was mine only being used that little I'd look at the color of the fluid. If it has any moisture it'll be milky looking and should be changed. If it's clean I'd run it.

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
manual states every 300 hours to change the fluid. At the rate I use it that would be about 12 years:confused: Was just wondering if over the winters would the fluid breakdown. The Fluid is a little milky, not much. The dew up here is crazy and I guess thats how it accumulates.

Thanks for the response guys

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Milky, I would change it... If it is clear then continue to use it. The best thing for any machine is to bring it to operating temperature and work it. If you use is intermittently, and the oil doesn't get hot enough to drive off any moisture that accumulates then you will need to change it more often.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Milky, I would change it... If it is clear then continue to use it. The best thing for any machine is to bring it to operating temperature and work it. If you use is intermittently, and the oil doesn't get hot enough to drive off any moisture that accumulates then you will need to change it more often.
+1. I change my fluid every 1000 hours but I run mine hard and it gets hot so the fluid is always clear (well orange, I use Chevron THF Synthetic) and it's orange to begin with.

If you don't work it hard and get the fluid hot enough to drive off the moisture, you need to change it regularly.