Float on top link?

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
Hey folks…. I’ve been reading on adding TnT to my tractor, and some of the threads are confusing…. I can see getting check valves for both of the cylinders…. But.. I see an awful lot of references to a float valve for the top link. Claims such as needing it for terrain following and such.

but.. the reason to get a hydraulic link is to fix the angle of the instrument…. The 3pt has a float function (which I already use), so why would I want the angle I set (such as when I’m grading a road) to be randomly changing? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of being able to set the angles in the first place?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You would only need and want it if you had and old style brush mower.
Even then your better off altering the mover to float.
I can't think of any other implement you would need or want it for.

No if you have or are adding the remote valves they you do want a float option on the first section for uses other than the three point top link.
And just because a valve has float does not effect the cylinder unless you engage the float.

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
California coast
Okay, cool…. No, don’t have a brush mower, so I won’t need the float mode!

thanks!

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Do you have a land plane, rear blade, landscape rake, disk, just to name a few.
You are correct in not needing, or even wanting it for a box blade, but there are many other applications that can make good use of the float feature in the right circumstances.

I personally have never made use of float with my top link, but use it all the time with my side link, and all of my valves have the float feature. But that's just me.

But knowing that a lot of the Kubota rear remote valves seem to have excessive internal leakage, I would probably get a top link with a check valve and install an on-off ball valve for the side link if I were going to make use of the factory Kubota rear remote valves. ;)

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
California coast
Do you have a land plane, rear blade, landscape rake, disk, just to name a few.
You are correct in not needing, or even wanting it for a box blade, but there are many other applications that can make good use of the float feature in the right circumstances.

I personally have never made use of float with my top link, but use it all the time with my side link, and all of my valves have the float feature. But that's just me.

But knowing that a lot of the Kubota rear remote valves seem to have excessive internal leakage, I would probably get a top link with a check valve and install an on-off ball valve for the side link if I were going to make use of the factory Kubota rear remote valves. ;)
nope, no rear valves yet. I would have gone for yours, but 22 weeks is a bit too long for me right now!

I was looking at the summit valves..

certainly, check valves on the cylinders!

thanks!

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Just a heads up, Summit valves are not much better than the Kubota valves when it comes to internal leakage issues. Also electric valves are not the ideal thing to have when it comes to top & tilt cylinders.
It is better to be able to actually feather the controls. I'm not saying that the electric valves don't work, just not ideal, besides no float feature even available with the electric units.

It might take some looking to find a top & tilt set with check valves for your tractor.
I'm not sure they are even available other than from me? ;)

As far as the 22 weeks, I feel for the people that have been waiting in excess of 36 weeks.
But things are getting better. (y)

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
California coast
Just a heads up, Summit valves are not much better than the Kubota valves when it comes to internal leakage issues. Also electric valves are not the ideal thing to have when it comes to top & tilt cylinders.
It is better to be able to actually feather the controls. I'm not saying that the electric valves don't work, just not ideal, besides no float feature even available with the electric units.

It might take some looking to find a top & tilt set with check valves for your tractor.
I'm not sure they are even available other than from me? ;)

As far as the 22 weeks, I feel for the people that have been waiting in excess of 36 weeks.
But things are getting better. (y)
Didn’t mean to imply they weren’t worth the wait, just that I needed something sooner!

not looking at kits anymore, and I just picked up a dual block manual, so we shall see.

still looking for a side link, think I have the top sorted…

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hey folks…. I’ve been reading on adding TnT to my tractor, and some of the threads are confusing…. I can see getting check valves for both of the cylinders…. But.. I see an awful lot of references to a float valve for the top link. Claims such as needing it for terrain following and such.

but.. the reason to get a hydraulic link is to fix the angle of the instrument…. The 3pt has a float function (which I already use), so why would I want the angle I set (such as when I’m grading a road) to be randomly changing? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of being able to set the angles in the first place?
I have gauge wheels on my 3PH blade. I float the 3PH and adjust the cutting edge with the hydraulic top link. Superb control for grading and feathering you can't do with the 3PH controls alone.

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
California coast
I have gauge wheels on my 3PH blade. I float the 3PH and adjust the cutting edge with the hydraulic top link. Superb control for grading and feathering you can't do with the 3PH controls alone.
Exactly what I was expecting to do! Use the 3ph in float, to keep it on the ground. Then adjust the angle for the amount of dig or spread on the box. 😄😁. Yay!