Fixing a beat up LA300 bucket

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
The bucket on the LA300 looks decidedly light duty. The PO obviously used the chains over the top of the bucket as a lifting device, and you can see that the bucket lip wasn't up to the duty. It's got some pretty big bends up there across from the boom just where chains would likely lay, though no chain hooks are in evidence.

The bottom edge is also pretty rough. Not only bowed a bit, but someone welded on a very heavy cutting edge scabbed over the existing much lighter edge. Problem is, it's bowed AND far too thick. The tooth bar I bought will not fit because of both problems. Even if I straighten it, which will be tough as heavy as it now is, it won't fit due to thickness. I'm thinking of trying to "wash" out the weld with the O/A and/or Plasma cutter. Then fix the remaining. Perhaps remove the OEM cutting edge and replace with the heavy add-on edge. If straight, that should just fit with a bit of room to spare.

So, I think my best bet is to fabricate some heavy fixtures to let the tractor hydraulics do most of the work. A combination of hard points to press against and chains to pull back until things are close to where they need to be. I hate wasting Acetylene on a rosebud, but heating is also an option. I don't need a show piece, just something square and straight and functional.

Anyone ever done this that can offer some advice? I found an very nice appropriately sized bucket from a loader for $200, but the mounts would need a complete rethink (or quick mount), and I hesitated. Snoozers loose, so that option went away. Perhaps I should just wait and look? Any help appreciated.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I attempted something like this some time ago. Jacking bucket from cutting edge up was my only option. It worked but i also used some heat. Ended welding some angle to bucket to help keep it straight. Its a battle from start to finish.
As far as cutting edge, plasma will gouge out the welds.
After spending a few days patching a bucket, i think i would either build or buy a new bucket or find a good used one.

The trick is not to abuse your bucket,theres ways to get things done without destroying stuff in the process. PO as in previous operator ground the cutting edge off plowing snow of all things. Angle bucket down-front wheels in air. On a gravel surface.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
I ended up cutting off my edge on my BF350 bucket and installing a new thicker cutting edge off a large Case 580 size loader. It holds up a lot better on my BF350 and I just make sure my attachments slide over the thicker cutting edge.

Like Junkie said, get a replacement bucket if you want to keep that edge stock, but keep in mind you will likely bend that if you're working your machine at all. I work my machine smart (not ramming into objects, not using the bucket to lift at bad angles, not chaining things incorrectly, etc) but I have still bent my bucket by doing simple things like getting under a large rock and curling the bucket.