First Tractor (L3130) - Leaking axle seal (front) + beginner questions.

hendr1x

Equipment
L3130
Jan 21, 2021
New England, US
Hello everyone,
Well...after 5 years of saving and over a year of looking I just picked up an early model L3130...literally got it a home less than an hour ago. The guy said it was a 2000...looks like they didn't start making them until 2003 so who knows. 4x4, 8 speed, LA723 Loader, BH90 Backhoe, 2000 hours got a great deal on it.

To only major issue I am aware of is the front tire/ rim has a bunch of oil on the inside...I assume there is some seal that went. Honestly, no idea what I'm doing for this. I'm hoping there is some way I can top off / measure the oil level and deal with during the spring. Any of you know how I should handle it? I've been working on cars for a couple decades so I'm not worried but are there repair manuals for this thing? How about maintenance schedules...are those able to be found?

Last thing, the head lamps are broken (shattered), and I'm sure there are gonna be more small things I need to replace. I'm also interested in bigger stuff like adding a thumb, and a mid PTO/snowblower. How does parts ordering work with tractors? How can I get part numbers? Is it possible to shop around/get better pricing? I assume there is not much after market / used parts available in the tractor world.

Thank so much for your help guys.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hello everyone,
Well...after 5 years of saving and over a year of looking I just picked up an early model L3130...literally got it a home less than an hour ago. The guy said it was a 2000...looks like they didn't start making them until 2003 so who knows. 4x4, 8 speed, LA723 Loader, BH90 Backhoe, 2000 hours got a great deal on it.

To only major issue I am aware of is the front tire/ rim has a bunch of oil on the inside...I assume there is some seal that went. Honestly, no idea what I'm doing for this. I'm hoping there is some way I can top off / measure the oil level and deal with during the spring. Any of you know how I should handle it? I've been working on cars for a couple decades so I'm not worried but are there repair manuals for this thing? How about maintenance schedules...are those able to be found?

Last thing, the head lamps are broken (shattered), and I'm sure there are gonna be more small things I need to replace. I'm also interested in bigger stuff like adding a thumb, and a mid PTO/snowblower. How does parts ordering work with tractors? How can I get part numbers? Is it possible to shop around/get better pricing? I assume there is not much after market / used parts available in the tractor world.

Thank so much for your help guys.
I suggest you start by going to this site and downloading the Workshop Manual for the L3130 to 5130

L3130

A leaking front axle is one thing but running the tractor when the oil level is low can cause serious damage.

Dave

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I suggest you start by going to this site and downloading the Workshop Manual for the L3130 to 5130

L3130

A leaking front axle is one thing but running the tractor when the oil level is low can cause serious damage.

Dave
Once you have the WSM I think it'll call for Kubota UDT or 85W in the front axle and tell you how to check the level. The UDT is thinner and a lot of us that are too lazy to change the seals run 85W to slow the leakage.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not sure of your location but if in the USA, go to Kubota.com and they have an illustrated parts list, you have to agree to their terms, search on your tractor’s model using the more general like L185 instead of L185F. That way you’re going to get all the different types you can select from.

Then open the file and start looking through the different parts of the manual to find what you want. Sometimes finding the right area in the manual is the hardest part.

You need to have your serial number since they will have breaks in what parts go to which serial numbers. Pretty straight forward methods.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most service parts are dealer only parts aside from some aftermarket things like water pumps, starters and alternators.
You will be a hard pressed to find a MID PTO hitch and snowblower.

hendr1x

Equipment
L3130
Jan 21, 2021
New England, US
Just wanted to say thank you very much for your input and access to the resources. I'm gonna pull off both wheel hubs and do the seals/bearing. If anyone had any other preventative maintenance they would recommend I would be all ears. I will be doing everything on the normal schedule but I'm curious if there was any other high wear / weak parts I could pre-emptively deal with.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
As the tractor is new to you I would suggest that you change all fluids and filters, that way you have a proper basis for future maintenance.

Good luck with your new machine.

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I would add to also give her a good cleaning. Pull off plastic / metal covers and remove what is easily removable and clean it out. I was amazed at the amount of dust and dirt there was on my used B1800 I got this past summer. Easier to spot leaks or potential problems on a clean machine.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Purple ZEP to clean off the crud from the motor and drivetrain. Wolfman got me started on that stuff, works good. Put it on with a spritz bottle, let in work for 15 minutes (cold motor) and either hose it off or use a pressure washer with a wide fan nozzle.

Do not use the 'Purple Power' stuff TSC sells. Not the same. The 'Purple Power' stuff leaves behind a white film and it's slightly corrosive. The Zep isn't. Good stuff.