First time removing lower hood skirts on BX2370 - what a PITA

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I just did my 50 hr service.

I removed the lower hood skirt. What a pain in the A$$.
First I had to remove the grill guard - @Kubota, why didn't you make this swing down? Not too bad except the Dealer that installed it must have used a 3/4" impact gun.

Then the skirts. Well you can't pull them off with the hood opened fully. You need to have the hood at around 3/4 open, but with the hyd. hood cylinder prop wanting to open it fully, it takes three hands.

The reinstalling it is even worse, because you have to align the skirt tabs on each side with the grooves in the radiator/dash support. All while keeping the hood at 3/4 open. Come-on Kubota!

Job done.
Only cut I received was from wrestling with the hood skirt.

I hear the 2017 BX models now have a single piece tilt hood. That alone might be worth trading in for. I wonder if they addressed the grill guard issue?

Enough rambling. Time to get back to work.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yes, the BX80 has a swing away guard and one piece hood. I've found if you use the supplied holder and do it a few times taking it all apart isn't that hard and I often don't do it for a simple service.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Then the skirts. Well you can't pull them off with the hood opened fully. You need to have the hood at around 3/4 open, but with the hyd. hood cylinder prop wanting to open it fully, it takes three hands.
It is a bit of a pain, but note that they do provide that third hand you need: somewhere near the top of the radiator is a sliding tab with a hole in it. Pull that tab out and put the pin on the hood through the hole. This holds the hood in the partially open position that allows you to slide the sides/skirts forward.

Here's a picture I found (not mine) showing how it works:

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Ah yes, the pull-out hood holder tab. I forgot about that. Would have nice if Kubota put a little "warning sticker" on the inside of the hood to remind us.

Still love my little machine - despite its faults.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
OK here is another reminder for this small tractor with several cheaper details. Have a pair of pliers handy when both removing and reattaching this skirt. Those two hold down bolts tend to work loose unless really tightened down. OH, if you want to eliminate all that grief, just leave it in the shed. Tractor runs fine without it.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
I just did my 50 hr service.

I removed the lower hood skirt. What a pain in the A$$.
First I had to remove the grill guard - @Kubota, why didn't you make this swing down? Not too bad except the Dealer that installed it must have used a 3/4" impact gun.

The reinstalling it is even worse, because you have to align the skirt tabs on each side with the grooves in the radiator/dash support. All while keeping the hood at 3/4 open. Come-on Kubota!

Job done.
Only cut I received was from wrestling with the hood skirt.

I hear the 2017 BX models now have a single piece tilt hood. That alone might be worth trading in for. I wonder if they addressed the grill guard issue?

Enough rambling. Time to get back to work.
I am not saying I was right, but I just had this go around with another member said that $1500.00 more for 80 to the 70 with the one piece hood, remove loader and resinstall loader from your seat, joystick at your hip and the SSL style quick detach bucket was not worth it.

And the grill guard would be further out to clear the hood or it maybe a tilt out, but yes.

Pat

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Is the "grill guard" now the "grill"?
It looks sort like the hood just tilts open "over" the guard. But it's difficult to tell from the picture.