First run with very 'not new' tiller!

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
I had an old Ford 917 74" Flail Mower taking up space and some fella posted on Craigslist that he was looking to trade his 6' tiller for a flail mower. This happened at about the same time my 13yo daughter decided she might be interested in a garden next spring (music to my ears cause that meant some father/daughter time!) I told her again and again how easy a vegetable garden is when there's no weeds OR vegetables!

As best I can tell, this is an old Yanmar RCB1700(?). Most of the writing is in Chinese but the model numbers seem to just about come out to this. I can't find much online. It definitely used to have some gauge wheels as part of the setup.

Regardless, I checked it over, made sure the gearbox was all lubed up, and she seems to run quite well. I ripped up the bermuda with my box blade then set to work with the tilling. Of course I found a 12" stump that had about 4yrs of slow rot going on. It took a lot of extra time to chop it out but I got 'er done. Chainsaw chain was about as sharp as a bowling ball.

All in all, it's a good start for next spring while the grass composts over the winter.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
From start to finish...looks great!!! You had some good help too!:D:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Looks good and my friend you can never have to much time with the kids, they grow way to fast and one day she will walk in the house with a young man in tow,,, and say,, Dad look what followed me home can I keep him? :eek:
It becomes a very sobering time in a Fathers life

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Thanks very much for the kind replies. This'll be the first garden I've put in by myself (grew up with cows, chickens, gardens, hauling square bales...the whole shebang) but all I ever did was provide labor for those efforts, no learning.

I'm looking forward to working on it with the little one more than anything we'll harvest!

-boz