First aid books

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Many years ago when I worked for DOL, I got involved with a bunch of first aid training at the academy, and had lots of books and supplies, that my Ex made sure found their way into the trash. Fast forward 30 years, and I find my self looking for emergency first aid books, for a couple of travel packs I set up for the kids when they travel.
You know things that might make the night go easyer if they got stranded some place. Water ,candy fire starters, flash lights knife, small first aid kit, you know all that stuff. Things that we should all carry in the car or truck, when we are out boon docking. Now back inthe day the Red Cross had books for the asking, I guess no more. So if anybody is an instructor and has some extra training books laying around. Let me know please

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
That sort of thing has moved to the internet or apps for a smartphone. I use an app from the American Red Cross.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Many years ago when I worked for DOL, I got involved with a bunch of first aid training at the academy, and had lots of books and supplies, that my Ex made sure found their way into the trash. Fast forward 30 years, and I find my self looking for emergency first aid books, for a couple of travel packs I set up for the kids when they travel.
You know things that might make the night go easyer if they got stranded some place. Water ,candy fire starters, flash lights knife, small first aid kit, you know all that stuff. Things that we should all carry in the car or truck, when we are out boon docking. Now back inthe day the Red Cross had books for the asking, I guess no more. So if anybody is an instructor and has some extra training books laying around. Let me know please
I am not sure if this meets your expectations, but check this site out (Dave Canterbury’s (sp?) site for stuff he sells)…they typically have books / field guides in most of their categories. At a glance there is a first aid book, but I am honestly not sure about the contents of their book but maybe worth a click? You may be able to search that book and see some reviews or maybe a selection of the pages on another site? Or maybe also check one of sites that have the emergency medical kits. 🥃

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Apps and websites ain't gonna work where you need it most- in the bush. A hard copy is where it's at when things go sideways. Hell, if my phone works to open an app, then it's only a minor issue. I can stabilize a patient long enough to get paramedics there or wait for help.
Skeets, there is a dude that is always at the Nation's Gun Show who has just these types of things. I cannot remember the vendors name. Maybe look up vendors at the show website and you'll find what ya need.
Side note- my parents would always keep tea light candles in the glove box of the van when we road tripped in the winter. If we got stranded then lighting one or two of them would keep the van warm enough to survive. I still do this. It's amazing how many people have never heard of this trick.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I still have the Boy Scout Handbook & First Aid Merit Badge book. They are from about 1962 so no CPR but still a good reference.
You might look for " survival " manuals that have a wide variety of basic skills along with first aid

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Sounds like a Wilderness First Responder book is what you're looking for. Aimed at austere conditions where transport to more definitive care is not realistic. Reducing dislocations, injections, identifying and treating many more injuries.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
American Heart Association has a nice reference book for lay people and how to handle basic emergency and it is not that expensive ($7) 2020 Heartsave First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook

If you want a book with a little more information: 2020 BLS Provider Manual Paperback – January 1, 2021 (about $30).

These are good books for covering basic first aid needs. They do not contain the survival information, but others have suggested some books to cover that. For a handy all purpose survival book, I have used these:

SAS Urban Survival Handbook: How to Protect Yourself Against Terrorism, Natural Disasters, Fires, Home Invasions, and Everyday Health and Safety Hazards

SAS Survival Handbook, Third Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Surviving Anywhere

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
First aid books

Howz come there aren't any books on Last Aid? Unless you count mortician's guides.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
First aid books

Howz come there aren't any books on Last Aid? Unless you count mortician's guides.
I think you have to look under Hospice Care for those books.

• Wow

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Get the McGyver book. All you need for everything you could encounter is a pocket knife. Isn't television wonderful in how it demonstrates the miracles of life to younger people who watch old television programs?

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Get the McGyver book. All you need for everything you could encounter is a pocket knife. Isn't television wonderful in how it demonstrates the miracles of life to younger people who watch old television programs?
& duct tape.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I carry this & other items in my “Go Bag”. It has the items & instructions for emergency situations. I have added a tourniquet, trauma shears, splint, cold packs, & Ace wraps. I always take the “Go Bag” to the farm. It is 1 of 2 “Go Bags” I have. The 2nd has things like flashlight, multi tool, firearms + ammo, batteries, …….
IMG_9627.png

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Triangular bandages are very helpful if you know how to use them. I think that they are a lost art today since the advent of Ace bandages and cling rolls. When I was a Red Cross first aid instructor you needed to know how to use the triangular to get your advanced first aid bandage. The most difficult one was to tie a head bandage using the triangular bandage that didn't come off when it was pinched in the center at the top of the skull.

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
As mentioned the Red Cross app is pretty solid and is with you if you have a phone. Doesn't cover open heart surgery but the basics are there for when you are in crisis mode and can't think.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Ask your physician for a good, general-purpose antibiotic that will preserve in the ’fridge/freezer and be applicable for: strep/UTI etc and put it in your travel kit /bug-out bag when leaving home.

(amoxicillin, cipro, and/or vancomycin, etc) Bewary of any family allergic reactions first.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Taking the wrong antibiotic will do nothing for the patient, and no physician that I know will issue a script for an antibiotic without putting the specific patient's name on it. Antibiotics are good when properly used, and improper use leads to the pathogen becoming antibiotic-resistant.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks guys but I was looking for something, that should things go sideways, not survival stuff but first aid. A book to check WTF do I do now,, till EMS gets there. There is no substitute for first aid training we all know that.