Filter magnet

olsarge

Equipment
L2501
Aug 5, 2016
Fresno CA
How much metal on the transmission filter magnet is normal?
Is this too much? filter.jpg 400 hour service If too much what's my issue?

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Was it cleaned at the 50 hour service? If so, something may be up. If not, pinch some between your fingers. If it's all just super fine stuff, call it break in stuff, clean and move on. If you have chunks you can feel, that's not good.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep normal, those are mill shavings (curly cue) and honing dust.

That's the magnets job to grab those! ;)

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Quick question, Do all Kubota HST filters have a magnet? I changed mine at 50 hours on my B2650HSDC and don't recall seeing one. Also is there a screen that needs to be cleaned as well, I don't recall reading about one when I did the 50 hour maintenance? But have read other threads that mention one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Quick question, Do all Kubota HST filters have a magnet? I changed mine at 50 hours on my B2650HSDC and don't recall seeing one. Also is there a screen that needs to be cleaned as well, I don't recall reading about one when I did the 50 hour maintenance? But have read other threads that mention one.
Your's does not have a magnet or a filter screen (predominantly only older models).

I can't tell you the reasoning behind no magnet on these, but most BX's and B's tend not to have magnets, it's more common in the L's and M's that they use magnets.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Buy a strong magnet and just stick it to the filter housing, it'll do the same thing.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
There are a lot of filter magnets available commercially. A couple examples,

Ring type,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GM1JKA/ref=psdc_15727201_t2_B001OJCIMO

FilterMag,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OJCIMO/ref=psdc_15727201_t1_B016H588VE
Ok, these look like either would work, but I guess I haven't ever given any thought to this , but which way does the oil flow going through the filter? Do the particles get trapped on the inside of the filter medium, or the outside? Seem the flow of the oil would dictate which magnet would be the most effective for trapping the big stuff. Inquiring minds want to know.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Ok, these look like either would work, but I guess I haven't ever given any thought to this , but which way does the oil flow going through the filter? Do the particles get trapped on the inside of the filter medium, or the outside? Seem the flow of the oil would dictate which magnet would be the most effective for trapping the big stuff. Inquiring minds want to know.
Very true. Also they are not all the same.

It should be oil around the outside, through the filter element and out the center hole.

I have always found any magnets strong enough to hold onto the filter, would catch and hold shavings.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Oil flows thru the circumferential holes around/near the gasket, passes from outside to inside the pleated media, then returns via the central/threaded passageway.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
How much metal on the transmission filter magnet is normal?
Is this too much? View attachment 47044 400 hour service If too much what's my issue?
This is part of Kubota's cost cutting practice. They've elected not to clean their parts after machining and their Standard Operating procedures and Engineering specifications allow for this. I'm waiting for the automotive industry to catch wind of this "best practice" of not cleaning. They'll be saving millions.

This is one reason the hydraulics sound differently after a fluid and filter change...

One has to question their choice of magnetic materials given how little magnetic flux they retain when at operating temperature though.