Fighting the algae

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Bought the tractor new, bought new fuel cans, treated with Sta-bul for desiel and after two years, still got the growth. I just can't bring myself to store the tractor over the Winter with just a little in the tank and none on hand in a can. I was a boy scout, what happened to being prepared?
Anyway, started adding stynadine to the fuel in the can along with the sta-bul. I no longer see the tar balls rolling around in the bottom of the can, but I had to change the primary filter after about 60 hrs of run time and it had black goo of death in the bottom of it.
With all of that being said, I'm going to try a "bio-cide".
FPPF 00119 KILLEM BIOCIDE off of Amazon. It will be awhile before I see any results, but I will keep you all informed. The caution label on the bottle said to where eye wear, gloves, coveralls when handling and dispose of the coveralls when done. Sounds like some nasty stuff. I told my wife about it and she asked if I new what a "bio-cide" was? I said yea, something to get ride of the algae. She said yep, and in broader terms, it kills things that live. I calculated it out and I need about 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallon can so if anyone else is going to try it, be careful, sounds like nasty stuff.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Re: Fighting the algea

The primary cause of the issue is the SULFUR Reduction in the fuel. Sulfur controlled organic growth in fuel. Another issue is fuel and gasoline are pumped through same pipelines, generally, albeit obviously at different intervals. The gasoline residue in pipeline although minimal, contains ethanol.

It is the ethanol that feeds the organic matter.

Most legit fuel suppliers furnish additives already in the fuel, such as a biocide, so unless the fuel is sold by Questionable supplier, or fuel is stored on premises for extended periods, this additive by end user should not be required. Ymmv, but shouldn't.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL

Bought the tractor new, bought new fuel cans, treated with Sta-bul for desiel and after two years, still got the growth. I just can't bring myself to store the tractor over the Winter with just a little in the tank and none on hand in a can. I was a boy scout, what happened to being prepared?
Anyway, started adding stynadine to the fuel in the can along with the sta-bul. I no longer see the tar balls rolling around in the bottom of the can, but I had to change the primary filter after about 60 hrs of run time and it had black goo of death in the bottom of it.
With all of that being said, I'm going to try a "bio-cide".
FPPF 00119 KILLEM BIOCIDE off of Amazon. It will be awhile before I see any results, but I will keep you all informed. The caution label on the bottle said to where eye wear, gloves, coveralls when handling and dispose of the coveralls when done. Sounds like some nasty stuff. I told my wife about it and she asked if I new what a "bio-cide" was? I said yea, something to get ride of the algae. She said yep, and in broader terms, it kills things that live. I calculated it out and I need about 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallon can so if anyone else is going to try it, be careful, sounds like nasty stuff.
I have been using this: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB22283 for several years now without ever getting any on me or spilling any. The bottle is set up to easily measure how much you need and to be able to put it in without spilling it.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero

Fought that in the older Mercedes diesels. It got to the point in an old 240D that I bought that an already SLOW car got way slower due to the tank strainer getting clogged up with the crap.
The way I conquered it was I had to pull the tank and completely flush it and then flush it with some of the Bio-cide. Cleaned out the lines and changed the fuel filter. Ran a few tanks of fuel with the bio-cide in it and no more problems.
So far, knock on wood, I have not had that issue with my Kubotas nor my 2007 Cummins powered Dodge truck.

Have you been buying your diesel fuel at the same station the whole time? If so then it's time to change stations. Large truck plazas usually keep clean treated fuel.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've been using Soltron for years with excellent results.
You can get it at Napa. ;)