FEL Problem

gasanders

Apr 13, 2010
oakton, va
Fel will not lift a small bucket of dirt unless I rotate the bucket towards dump at the same time I raise the lift??. All other hyd systems, steering and 3 pt hitch appear OK. Any Ideas??

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Have you recently taken the loader off and reinstalled it? Could be a thing the hydraulic lines are crossed or not plugged into the quick couple tight enough.

gasanders

Apr 13, 2010
oakton, va
No removal of FEL involved...I did remove and life a very large stump just before I noticed the problem. Everything about the FEL was normal until after I did the stump removal then the FEL started acting different...to raise it I must also be curling the bucket?? Thanks

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
It sounds to me like one of the valves is stuck. In order for the bucket to lift, the oil from the lower side has to go somewhere. Using the curl function allows that. So I would think that the curl valve is not allowing free flow when it is in neutral. Does the curl function work end to end OK on its own? Bucket lower OK?

gasanders

Apr 13, 2010
oakton, va
Curl function is OK in both directions...up and down are both affected by the bug (altho gravity helps down motion). I'm thinking I have a blown lift cylinder(by-passing O-ring inside) that is getting additional flow for lift when the bucket is curled down???

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Oh you'll know it if its a cylinder that blew, hydraulic oil will be going EVERYWHERE when a cylinder goes south. Its hard to say if the stump removal had anything to do with it or if was just a matter of timing. The reason I say that is tractors today have like a bypass valve that keeps you from lifing more then the hydraulics are rated for to prevent from breaking things.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Oh you'll know it if its a cylinder that blew, hydraulic oil will be going EVERYWHERE when a cylinder goes south. Its hard to say if the stump removal had anything to do with it or if was just a matter of timing. The reason I say that is tractors today have like a bypass valve that keeps you from lifing more then the hydraulics are rated for to prevent from breaking things.
Eric has a good point. If your pressure relief blew you would not be able to get any appreciable pressure on the lift valve. When you curl, it blocks off the hydraulic flow through the valve neutral, and directs it to one side or the other of the curl cylinder, creating pressure. The lift side would work until the curl reached its limit and stopped the flow.
Each valve has a pressure relief. I'm nowhere near a tractor to give any advice on adjusting, disassembling, or overhauling it.

Last edited:

gasanders

Apr 13, 2010
oakton, va
Where are the pressure relief valves on a B7510 factory installed FEL...are they part of your main control valve that creates all the movement??

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I would check the loader quick couplers just in case one got knocked. And then I would check the loader valve for full travel of both spools.

gasanders

Apr 13, 2010
oakton, va
The problem is solved...it was in the control valve, I think. I disassembled it (control valve) piece by piece, fitting by fitting, remove the 2 spools, cleaning and inspecting along the way, insuring there was no blockage, dumped all the water out of the end caps etc. etc. Nothing appeared to be wrong, and no blockage, quick disconnects operated properly, both checks valves appeared clean and proper, pressure relief valve was clean and spring was strong. Reassembled and reinstalled control valve and problem switched to "FEL will raise, curl the bucked both ways, but will not lower unless I go to float or rotate the bucket while lowering FEL". I rebuilt both lift cylinders (new kits in both) and problem continued. Removed control valve again and repeated inspections mentioned above...I/we did this control valve remove/inspect/replace about 6 times then all of a sudden it worked just fine! P. F. Magic! A miracle occured in Pennsylvania...there is a Kubota God.