Father driving farm implement hits, kills child

rmasonjr

Mar 16, 2015
brookhaven, ms
So sad.

Many years ago, when I was in 4th grade, our science teacher ran over his child with a tractor and sadly, the child died. He was never the same after that.

I preach to my family to never ever get behind me while I'm on the tractor. Never even get close. I preach it so much I think they are getting tired of me saying it. I also had to tell them never approach me when I'm using my woodworking tools.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Got to watch the kids . At their age Dad is still their hero and want to be around you doing what you do . Add a tractor to the situation and dang near impossible to keep them away .

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
That's very sad... In the winter I hire a young kid to shovel my walks for me. This is the exact reason I won't let him on the property until I'm finished using the tractor. He's a good boy and completely understands how quickly something can go wrong.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The yellow safety section in the kubota owner's manual is extensive, you know the part everyone skips over to get to the operating section. Months ago I laughed when I came to the first lines of the section on children: children are generally attracted to machines and the work they do. 1. Never assume that children will remain where you last saw them. (That's for sure!)

Not so funny now.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Last August an acquaintance of mine was taking his 2 1/2 year old daughter for a ride on his 78hp tractor with loaded R1 tires. FEL and ho on it Her mother came out of the house and the girl saw her. Before he could do anything she jumped off his lap and her legs were run over. Flesh meets tractor, flesh looses. She lost both legs,:eek: it could have been worse. Same thing happened to an uncle of mine when he was a child but he just lost his right foot. JUST LOST!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
That goes for antyhing heavy with children around. My kids never understood why i was yelling at them to stop chasing me around when i was cutting grass. One little lapse and back over a child. Takes a second for someting to go bad. My wife didnt understand why she cant help me when shes wearing sandals or flip flops. Til something rolled over her foot. After being told so many times,btw i'm the a-hole for telling her to go away and put on proper footwear.

I know full well it takes one slip to turn something simple into a disaster.
Protecting yourself is easy, its the ones around you that you need to watch out for.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I can understand how something like this could happen . I know that I'm bad at not looking behind when busy . Snow blowing or grading the drive . And its just not children that you have to watch for . Almost backed over my 76 year old mother that lives with us . I mean you get into with what you are doing and everyone else is in the house , right? Well there she was . Decided to come outside and watch how the new tractor and blower was working for me . Thankfully I seen her in time . Slowed me down for sure . But just saying , be careful out there . I'm sure you all are . But it only takes once .

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I cannot even begin to imagine the pain this guy is in.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
So sad to see headlines like this when what is happening is such a good thing like working with the tractor and boating. Good things have risks and to keep the good times, safety has to keep up with the risk.
Everyone enjoy your toys and family safely so it doesn't happen in the Orange community. :)

blank102

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Feb 2, 2015
Mexifornia
I recently put two rear view mirrors on my orange beauty because I work(play) around a lot of trees. But it also helps to keep an eye on anyone walking up from behind.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Was pushing up brush on a pile 2 weeks ago and looked up and one of my 5 yr old cousins was between me and the brush pile!!! Don't know how I saw him but thank the Lord I did!! Looked for his mom who was supposed to be watching him inside the house, and she was sitting on the carport texting :mad::mad::mad: Needless to say I went and parked the tractor until they left. With supervision like that, I will be amazed if he reaches adulthood!

And a +1 to not being able to imagine the pain that this dad must be feeling..........I just can't imagine...

Doc

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
This is making me queasy. My not quite 2 year old grandson (and mom, my daughter) is coming to stay for a month in a few weeks. Gotta be extra double careful around the little buggers.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Really sad reading. I know of several people killed over the years by rotary cutters. When my grandkids are over it's a constant battle keeping them away from my equipment. The tractors especially are magnets. I seem to be the only one that gets excited about it, but I can live with that.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was on a jobsite about 9 years ago. Was repoing some equipment. Had just slung a piece of equipment up onto a trailer with a large trackhoe. Coworker had just unhooked the chain and I was fixing to swing the boom out of the way and had someone enter the cab :eek: Suprised the daylights out of me :mad: it was my boss. He ended up getting a good cussing over that one.

Grandkiddos love the bota. Wife is like a warden with them though. If they wanna watch, she's right there with them. And she's like a ninja with her flip flops if they don't listen to her :rolleyes:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
And then there are those that add an extra seat on the tractor for the kid to ride along. Or have them do the steering. Just asking for trouble I say.

There otta be a device that shocks anyone coming within 20 feet of an operating machine such as a tractor from anywhere except in the view area..

Anyone needing to speak with the operator of any machine, such as a table saw, drill press, lawn mower and yes tractors should approach from the front.

I use that rule and try to pass it on to those nearby, not always getting through to them.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Dear Lord please help this family in there time of need , God bless them all.