Fan shroud

RazorHawks

Equipment
L1500DT
Oct 28, 2020
Klamath Falls
I was attempting to move my car trailer with the hook on the bucket of my L1500DT, I didn’t realize the weight of the snow had pulled the brake cable. So, pulling multiple times the last good tug, something bent and smoke bellowed out with a hellish sound. Turned it off and the radiator and shroud are now wedged into the fan. Should I have anything major to worry about?

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The fan hitting the shroud indicates that something moved. I assume that the radiator moved since you said that you were moving a trailer.

You may have broken part of the tractor frame so you need to investigate closely around the area for cracks in the loader frame or the tractor frame where the radiator is attached.

It may be that the radiator was just loose and got jolted out of place. I would suggest removing the hood and radiator to investigate what is loose or broken.
I would recommend you also replace the fan since it is obviously damaged and could fling a blade off and do more damage. The fan is probably not expensive and while the radiator is out the fan is easily replaced.

You may have to remove the loader which may be the most difficult part of the investigation.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I can't visualize what you're describing when you say, "... I didn’t realize the weight of the snow had pulled the brake cable." had anything to do with relocating the radiator.

What is the smoke bellowing out from?

What Russell suggested is right on.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I can't visualize what you're describing when you say, "... I didn’t realize the weight of the snow had pulled the brake cable." had anything to do with relocating the radiator.
My guess is that the cable for the breakaway switch was dangling in the snow and was pulled, activating the trailer brakes. He was towing the trailer with all of the tires dragging.

I wonder if he put major stresses on the front axle leading to breakage.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
poor lil tractor ! had to look it up, older 15HP unit. you'll need to carefully inspect the whole front end. hoping you have the WSM for it to verify where things need to be put back. You could trim down the blade to be equal, say with a file or rasp. As others have said lower rad supports may be bent,so only some basic 'backyard bodging' may be needed. Maybe have a 2nd pair of eyes look at it !

RazorHawks

Equipment
L1500DT
Oct 28, 2020
Klamath Falls
I was attempting to move my car trailer with the hook on the bucket of my L1500DT, I didn’t realize the weight of the snow had pulled the brake cable. So, pulling multiple times the last good tug, something bent and smoke bellowed out with a hellish sound. Turned it off and the radiator and shroud are now wedged into the fan. Should I have anything major to worry about?
Thank you all. I’m inspecting now and so far the radiator and shroud are the only thing out of place.

RazorHawks

Equipment
L1500DT
Oct 28, 2020
Klamath Falls
The fan hitting the shroud indicates that something moved. I assume that the radiator moved since you said that you were moving a trailer.

You may have broken part of the tractor frame so you need to investigate closely around the area for cracks in the loader frame or the tractor frame where the radiator is attached.

It may be that the radiator was just loose and got jolted out of place. I would suggest removing the hood and radiator to investigate what is loose or broken.
I would recommend you also replace the fan since it is obviously damaged and could fling a blade off and do more damage. The fan is probably not expensive and while the radiator is out the fan is easily replaced.

You may have to remove the loader which may be the most difficult part of the investigation.
Nothing broke, but front end bent down. Trying to figure out how to bend back up. Using the tractor weight on a jack for now.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Nothing broke, but front end bent down. Trying to figure out how to bend back up. Using the tractor weight on a jack for now.
It's going to take more than that to straighten it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Caution: The front steel frame is bolted to a cast section!!!!!
You will be far better of and way less risky to start unbolting parts and get the frame out where it can be straitened without putting any stress on the cast section!

RazorHawks

Equipment
L1500DT
Oct 28, 2020
Klamath Falls
Caution: The front steel frame is bolted to a cast section!!!!!
You will be far better of and way less risky to start unbolting parts and get the frame out where it can be straitened without putting any stress on the cast section!
ok. I’ll see if I can get it on a trailer and take it to a shop. Right now I’m laying in the snow. I let it run for some time and I have oil dripping. Can’t tell where from.