Fan dramas and I ain't famous!!

TJBM

Apr 20, 2016
Melbourne Australia
Hi everyone in Orange Tractor land. It is with a heavy heart that I confess to some measure of ignorance in that whilst clearing some good old Aussie scrub for the first time on my recently acquired pre-owned BX2360 800hrs (no skid plate or MMM) and being pretty impressed,my mower was attacked by a stick which found it's way to my rad fan,which subsequently destroyed my fan,radiator and radiator shroud $700 for parts alone, I've also noticed the hst fan has every second fin missing. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some of their knowledge in this area the rad etc isn't a problem but it seems from what I've read the hst fan could be. I've started stripping the BX and the first hurdle I've faced is where do the fenders attach, I've removed the ROPS,seat, floor pan and tail lights. Being retired and having some mechanical knowledge I'm hoping someone out there has faced a similar issue and can give me some guidance. Also need to impress upon everyone to fit some sort of "'full'" skid pan the damage has to be seen to be believed. NO AFTER MARKET SKID PLATES AVAILABLE IN AUS!!very costly mistake which I have learned from. Cheers.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
TJBM, There's a guy on the radio here in USA that refers to those kinds of costly incidents as "Stupid Tax". It's not fun to pay, and we all get the opportunity from time to time.

Welcome, and to answer you question, go the the top of this page where it says "SEARCH" and type in something like "BX fan" and you'll be able to find all the others who had the same problem and their solution.

Others will jump in and make you feel better soon, because it's a common occurrence on this forum.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
TJBM,, Welcome mate ,, trust me your not the first to do something like this, so dont feel to bad, a lot of us have learned things the same way you are,, it sucks but things happen.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
A search on "BX" "fan" will get you zero. This is a tough search as search terms need to be more than 3 letters long.

coachgeo How about a sticky for the BX cooling fan replacement? It is hard to search and it is a concern for most BX owners.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Sorry to hear of your busted fan problem. I've not had to do that on my BX so far (850 hrs), but understand it's a nasty job replacing a $20 part. On the later BX models such as you own, you have to loosen the engine mounts and move the engine forward enough to open up the driveshaft so the replacement fan can be put in place. Is that right? Best of luck with the project.

There's an outfit in the US that builds skid plates for various makes of subcompacts. Here's a link:
http://www.bro-tek.com/skid_plate/
You may have to edit that internet link so it works from Australia.
Might be sort of pricey having it shipped. If you have a decent welding and fabrication shop anywhere close, it would be worth checking whether they could to put together something similar for less.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
my mower was attacked by a stick which found it's way to my rad fan,which subsequently destroyed my fan,radiator and radiator shroud $700 for parts alone,

If Im reading this right its not the HST fan but the radiator fan, and radiator and the screen...:eek:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Hi everyone in Orange Tractor land. It is with a heavy heart that I confess to some measure of ignorance in that whilst clearing some good old Aussie scrub for the first time on my recently acquired pre-owned BX2360 800hrs (no skid plate or MMM) and being pretty impressed,my mower was attacked by a stick which found it's way to my rad fan,which subsequently destroyed my fan,radiator and radiator shroud $700 for parts alone, I've also noticed the hst fan has every second fin missing. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some of their knowledge in this area the rad etc isn't a problem but it seems from what I've read the hst fan could be. I've started stripping the BX and the first hurdle I've faced is where do the fenders attach, I've removed the ROPS,seat, floor pan and tail lights. Being retired and having some mechanical knowledge I'm hoping someone out there has faced a similar issue and can give me some guidance. Also need to impress upon everyone to fit some sort of "'full'" skid pan the damage has to be seen to be believed. NO AFTER MARKET SKID PLATES AVAILABLE IN AUS!!very costly mistake which I have learned from. Cheers.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24153&highlight=BX24
It sure looks like it would work and a lot easier than moving the motor forward.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
my mower was attacked by a stick which found it's way to my rad fan,which subsequently destroyed my fan,radiator and radiator shroud $700 for parts alone,

If Im reading this right its not the HST fan but the radiator fan, and radiator and the screen...:eek:
skeets you stopped reading or maybe comprehending:rolleyes: to soon, continue after the comma.:eek:

"$700 for parts alone, I've also noticed the hst fan has every second fin missing."

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The fenders are attached with bolts screwed into the grab handles, loosen the front bolt and remove the rear bolt on each side. There is a metal strap between the front and rear bolts, swing it out of the way and the fenders are loose.

Replacing the hydro cooling fan is really very simple. Remove the four nuts on top of the engine mounts, attach a hoist to engine and raise it approx 3/4 inch then move it approx 1 to 1 1/2 inch forward. No need to remove any wiring or hoses. Only takes a couple minutes and you have plenty of room to replace the hydro fan. I have done it on several units.

TJBM

Apr 20, 2016
Melbourne Australia
Hi guys, thanks so much for all the encouraging words and helpful advise. I am making good progress now and just have to work out how to lift the engine as I don't have a lifter, probably try a block of wood and crowbar off the FEL arm, unless someone thinks that's a bad idea!!? And it was rad fan etc and hst fan which is the PITA. Thanks again much appreciated TJBM from down under!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
TJBM, you said, "just have to work out how to lift the engine as I don't have a lifter, probably try a block of wood and crowbar off the FEL arm, unless someone thinks that's a bad idea!!"

You start using a block of wood and a crow bar and you end up with more trouble. Something broken besides your spirit, it might be a hand smashed. Don't you have a buddy (or a rental yard) to get you hands on a lift?

Whitetiger gives you all the shortcuts to solving your problem, keep it simple.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
The engine weighs 170 lbs dry, probably 200 as it sits in a BX. You need something to lift and hold it securely in place whilst your delicate pinkies are working on the old/new fan exchange. That would be a really bad time for something to slip!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
There must be all kinds of rental engine lifts available. Either rental outlets or auto parts stores.

TJBM

Apr 20, 2016
Melbourne Australia
[Hi guys, fans , rad and shroud done, lifted the motor with crow bar & chain then slid another bar across for safety, all good. Or so I thought!! Getting the brackets and handle holes to line up on the back frame has been a nightmare, have 3 in and one to go, may need another pair of hands, another Valium and I'm off for another try $&@$";-/"?!. Cheers