Fall vs Spring Service

jmusits

Equipment
B2301, L434 Loader, B2673 w/ Hyd. Angle, EA 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
Mar 26, 2017
Greenfield Center, NY
I only put about 70 hours a year on my B2301, but I feel like I should be doing Oil/Filter/Hydraulic Fluid/Filters service yearly.

Any thoughts on doing this service in the fall before the winter or in the spring after the winter? My machine gets used year round with about half of the hours during the winter.

Thanks for your input!

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Unless we get some serious snow, my B3200 stays garaged for most of the winter months coming out when I cut wood or need to do some trail maintenance on frozen ground. That being said, I will be doing the engine oil and fuel filter in the next couple weeks along with my end of season lubing of all fittings. I bought it used with around 95 hours on it and the dealer did a complete fluid service for me so at 147hrs I am holding on the hydraulic fluid service. Oil and fuel filter will be done once a year in the late fall.

On the lube front, I do it at least 4x a year. Grease is cheap and it makes me do that walk around on the tractor looking for things that are possibly wearing or have worked their way loose. This lubing includes any attachments (brush hog) that have moving parts/grease fittings as well. Don't forget to get your universal joints on your PTO drive shafts

I also installed a trickle charger port so I can plug in a battery tender for the winter hours.

Is it overkill? probably, but it is an expensive machine and a little TLC will keep it ready to go when I need it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I typically do fall.

Only reason is I usually have a little more time before snow-moving season.

Spring can break quick and I hate to lose part of a day changing fluids.

Holleyman

Equipment
Kubota B6001, Caterpillar 252B, AM General M813A1, Ford 8N, Komatsu PC30
Sep 25, 2013
80 acres in Athabasca AB
I service in spring as my equipment sits unused quite a bit in the winter and it goes from +5 down to -45 over the course of the season. The cyclic temperature changes can cause moisture build up in compartments due to condensation so I prefer to start the working season with fresh oil and new additives.

This question really depends on how you operate your equipment and what your environment is.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I change mine in the fall. Since I use it to plow the driveway, and the road I live on (they only plow and clear main roads around here) I want to make sure there are fresh fuel filters on the tractor.