Engine swap advice needed!!!!

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Howdy all,

Bear with me on this, I hope it makes sense.

Currently in the stable I have one B6100D, one B6100 HST and one B7100D. All need engine work in one form or another. All were purchased as project tractors. Several months ago I was lucky enough to purchase a new in the crate D850. It will swap into any of the tractors with minimal hassle.

The question is, which one?????

I was initially going to swap it into the HST unit. However, as time has gone on, I'm beginning to think that the better swap may be into the B7100D (gear drive with 3000 hrs) because it has a newly rebuilt transmission.

My plan was to use the HST unit primarily for mowing duties as it has the mid mount mower.

I also have one front loader a box blade. I figured on mounting the loader and box blade on the same unit. My thought was to use a gear drive unit for the loader and box blade because I've read that it puts more power to the ground. But for loader work, does it make more sense to mount it to the HST unit due to the easy forward and reverse load after load rather than clutching and shifting?

I've bought these over time and have very little experience actually running them (only one barely runs at the moment and is sick so it's unusable). I have a larger B9200 TUG (HST) that works great and I've used it a ton. Based on that, I could see holding down the pedal being a royal pain after about 15 minutes especially if mowing a large field or something like that. Since its a TUG, with no PTO, I've never used it for long periods mowing. I do know that it requires a fair amount of leg pressure when driving any distance. It works perfectly and there is nothing wrong with the pedal just takes a bit of pressure to hold down. I could see where it would get tiring after a while especially if one had a lot of mowing to do, so I figure the 6100 HST unit might be similar.

So, if you had the choice between re-powering either a gear drive or HST unit, which would you choose and why?

I've been debating this for awhile now and am tired of going back and forth about it not wanting to make the wrong decision. Since I have no real-life experience, I decided to ask for opinions from folks who maybe have used both.

Thanks in advance for any help\comments.

Kind regards,

Steve

PS - Yeah I own quite a few orange beauties. Unfortunately, all are projects and the only one that runs and is usable is the B9200. You know the saying, one man's trash is another man's treasure... :)

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It really comes down to a matter of personal preference over a gear tranny or HST. Like you said the hst pedal can be a huge PIA after a while. And yes the gear tranny puts more power to the ground. I own a B6100E that's gear drive and I've spent numerous hours on other equipment that's hst and its awkward and not to mention loud as hell because the hydraulics constantly whine. Drives me nuts after having to listen to that racket all day.

I also look at it that a clutch pack is bound to be alot cheaper to fix and adjust then a hydraulic pump for the tranny. To me the gear tranny has stood the test of time ever since tractors were first built.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I would go for the manual transmission. I have done a lot of digging and scooping with the FEL, without any problems. I only use 1st. If I run into a rock, the tractor merely stops and the wheels spin slowly. You have the tendency to want to charge into something to break it free, but the tractor is the thing that can most easily break... The deal with the HST is that it's low range can do about 4-5mph, whereas the manual transmission in low tops out at about 1mph.
When I went from the L185 to the new L3200 the dealer tried his darndest to put me in the HST, but I have no regrets sticking with the gears.

Apogee

Equipment
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Thanks so far for the comments.

55 views and no other comments????

I'm learning at this end and all tidbits are most appreciated!

Kind regards,

Steve

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
I'd stick with the manual version for all the heavy stuff etc, its just a better and stonger setup.
I have a manual 7100 & hst 7100, the hst just seems to be a bit "week" when getting down to the nitty gritty stuff, the manual version just gets on with it without any hesitation, dont mess about man, get it in the DP version,you wont regret it..........

just my input.

Apogee

Equipment
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Well, the gear version it is!

Thanks all for the comments. I really appreciate the help!

Kind regards,

Steve