engine smoke questions

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
hello again fellow users, i need one more time help.

i have a l501dt and i have fix almost everything on it,
i have change the head gasket, add temp gauge, watched then the cylinders and they was good for my knowledge, i have adjust the valves, clean the radiator in and out , change the cup, change the gear oil because it was black and some times the gear was grinding, clean the valve there under the seat and the filter, now they work perfect.

now i have one other question,

the tractor starts very good even at 0 Celsius and it runs great. but i see a puff of black smoke even if the engine is hot when i suddenly press the petal from low rpms to high, or when i start in 4H gear with very low rpms,

is this normal?

i can cruise around at 1300rpms and press the pedal for a moment until 2500rpms and it puffs black smoke and then clears.

some times this smoke looks gray near the exhaust and blacks when is over the sky..

sorry for my explanation.
i have change the diesel filter 20hours ago but the air filter is old, so i have cleaned with pressurized air.

tomorrow i will put a small video for help.

is my tractor dying? :( or i worry to much ???

Last edited:

TractorMan02

Equipment
M8560HD
Aug 1, 2013
Georgia
The puff of black smoke under the conditions that you describe sound normal for a diesel engine that is not equipped with a diesel particulate filter.

I would however be careful about cleaning your air filter with compressed air as a paper element air filter can be easily damaged while using compressed air to clean them. I would air on the side of caution in this area and just replace the filter with a new one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Black smoke out of a diesel is not that bad of a thing, just means it's running a little rich, you could adjust it out , but I wouldn't worry about it it's not going to hurt anything.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Move on folks nothing to see here! That amount of smoke is nothing!
Actually I quite surprised your getting that little smoke out of a tractor that's 30 plus years old!;)
Really quit worrying about it and get it out and use it!:cool:

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
thanks.. some times i concern very much and without reason.
maybe beacause i like everything to be perfect,
now its time to move on and paint the tractor when the weather become hotter.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And remember Alex we love pictures lot of pictures, so when you get it all pretty post some :D