Engine Removal

revever49

Equipment
Kubota RTV 500
May 2, 2023
Mississippi
I have a Kubota RTV 500 that appears to have a broken oil ring, it has 2500 hrs on the meter. The previous owner would just change the Spark Plug in the cylinder that had fowled and keep running it. I would like to get step-by-step instructions as to how to remove the engine so I can tear it down and confirm that the oil ring is the problem.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You're best get a hold of the WSM (WorkShop Manual ) for your machine, even then it's won't be every
'step by step', but reasonably informative.

Hopefully you can by a 'gasket kit' as well as rings for it economically.
Big issue is it a gas or diesel engine ?

revever49

Equipment
Kubota RTV 500
May 2, 2023
Mississippi
You're best get a hold of the WSM (WorkShop Manual ) for your machine, even then it's won't be every
'step by step', but reasonably informative.

Hopefully you can by a 'gasket kit' as well as rings for it economically.
Big issue is it a gas or diesel engine ?
It is Gas

revever49

Equipment
Kubota RTV 500
May 2, 2023
Mississippi
I have obtained a manual that has quite an extensive breakdown of the engine as to torks and other specs but nothing as to how to pull the engine.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I don't know your machine, but pulling an engine is usually a matter of disconnecting things until you can lift it out. A hoist of some kind is usually needed.

If the beast has structural parts in the way, that's another story. That can get tricky. Same if you have to pull a transmission or transaxle.

Of course, the hard part is putting it all back together like it was. Lots of cellphone photos can be a lifesaver.

I did a quick search on The Tube and came up empty. But I did find a couple on the 900 model. I have no idea if it's similar, but maybe worth taking a look.

revever49

Equipment
Kubota RTV 500
May 2, 2023
Mississippi
I don't know your machine, but pulling an engine is usually a matter of disconnecting things until you can lift it out. A hoist of some kind is usually needed.

If the beast has structural parts in the way, that's another story. That can get tricky. Same if you have to pull a transmission or transaxle.

Of course, the hard part is putting it all back together like it was. Lots of cellphone photos can be a lifesaver.

I did a quick search on The Tube and came up empty. But I did find a couple on the 900 model. I have no idea if it's similar, but maybe worth taking a look.

revever49

Equipment
Kubota RTV 500
May 2, 2023
Mississippi
Thanks Mark_BX25D, I have had the same problem with the Tube. The 900 seems to be different. I may just have to wing it. Want be my first rodeo.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have the WSM (aka Service manual)?
Sounds like you many only have the OPS manual.

revever49

Equipment
Kubota RTV 500
May 2, 2023
Mississippi
I was sent and copied operator's Manual that has specifications (2) pages, Maintenance section p.33-36, and WSM pages ( 1-M1- 1-M11), and (1-S1 - 1-S39). I am confident that that will be helpful once I get the engine out and on a workbench. I am concerned at this point with getting the engine out of the vehicle. It would be nice to know the steps from someone that has pulled an engine from that model. I have pulled and rebuilt several automobile engines but not one of these.
Thanks,

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I was sent and copied operator's Manual that has specifications (2) pages, Maintenance section p.33-36, and WSM pages ( 1-M1- 1-M11), and (1-S1 - 1-S39). I am confident that that will be helpful once I get the engine out and on a workbench. I am concerned at this point with getting the engine out of the vehicle. It would be nice to know the steps from someone that has pulled an engine from that model. I have pulled and rebuilt several automobile engines but not one of these.
Thanks,
The work shop manual for the vehicle should have a description of how to take the engine out of the vehicle. The same manual may have a good section on the engine rebuild.

kubotabooks dot com may have a free manual

revever49

Equipment
Kubota RTV 500
May 2, 2023
Mississippi
I’ll have to see if I can get that section of the WSM. I only have 2 maybe 3 sections and that is not one.
Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Online dealers or your local dealer should be able to help you buy the manual.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ooohh....that is possibly the hardest machine to work on that I've ever done and I've done a bunch of engine R&R's

yes get the service manual because you WILL need it

and you'll also need lots and lots of patience and lots of time

with that many hours have you checked the valve clearance yet? Tight intake valve can cause a rich running engine, which will eat spark plugs.