Engine knock B1550

Timbo10835

Mar 22, 2015
NH
Looking for advice. I replaced cylinder 1 fuel injector then bled the fuel system at the injector pump (knob) and at each injector. Now I have what sounds like intermittent fuel knock. If I loosen the injector at #1 like bleeding,knock goes away. Any ideas? I bled it 4-5 times already.

Timbo10835

Mar 22, 2015
NH
The original injector went bad wasn't delivering fuel. Replaced with a new oem part. I've bled all three at the injector. When loosened, #2 and#3 don't effect the knock. Only # 1 does. I am bleeding with the engine running,should I only when cranking it over but not running? I had a fuel gelling problem earlier and treated the fuel with 911 and thinned with 10% kerosene. Filter was changed before bleeding.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally wouldn't have used both 911 and Kerosene as they both thin the fuel to damaging levels!

First thing to do is remove the Injector, and reinstall the injector in another piston, does the knock follow the injector?
If not then you need to pull the valve cover and verify that the valves are set right.
Then remove the Injector, and line reinstall the injector and line external of engine , bled the set up of air and with a piece of cardboard under the injector verify that the injector is working, as the pump could be causing it not to get fuel.
If that is all good, then your looing at an Internal problem, possibly valve damage or rod/bearing damage causing the knock.

Timbo10835

Mar 22, 2015
NH
Back up and running...turns out the new, OEM injector I installed was defective. It was spraying way too much fuel that caused the engine knock and smoke like all hail. Replaced it with another new injector...now runs great ! Even better actually since I ran some Seafoam through the fuel system to drive off some carbon. Glad a dodged a bullet of crank or rod bearing....I'm sure that doesn't come cheap to get repaired.