engine dies, oil pressure light flickering

americarkid

Equipment
m8200 krone4500 nh617
Jan 12, 2011
sallisaw ok
M8200 '05 model 1800hrs. symptoms.. engine starts then dies oil pressure light not going out.oil pressure light flickering while running at low RPM's, engine shutting off.condition worsening to point had to rev to 1400 rpm to keep from dieing once at operating temp. scouted 100 pages of this forum for diagnosis procedure. once i plugged in a mechanical gauge by taking a npt fine thread brass pipe and rethreading to fit metric 10-27 I think. was able to get a reading of ZERO!!! I unhooked the hose and there wasnt enough pressure to push oil out.I thought a galley plug surely.upon teardown I discovered dings and dents inside of the inj.pumpcover. A sure sign that something was jumping around in there. 4 out of 8 screws were missing from the pump cover inside the engine. after a good cleaning w/brake cleaner and locktiteing the new screws in place.I re assembled the gearcover, put on the crank pulley and other covers and fired it up.SHAZAM! 25psi at Idle and 37 at 1800rpm.amazing how much quieter it runs too. I feel like a mechanic bad azz!!!! my first diesel tear into! you guys think I hurt it? need to trade in?
DO I still need to get oil pan off and find those screws? or will the screen protect it?

americarkid

Equipment
m8200 krone4500 nh617
Jan 12, 2011
sallisaw ok
If you want to keep those screws in the bottom of the pan spend four or five bucks and stick a rare earth magnet to the bottom of the pan. it'll hold those loose screws in one place and keep them from bouncing up into the skirt area of the piston.

Nice repair.
even a blind hog will find an acorn once in a while

americarkid

Equipment
m8200 krone4500 nh617
Jan 12, 2011
sallisaw ok
1 month update.. so far I have had no probs since repair. I stuck 4 magnets to oil pan per vic's advice. I took pics of the repair process but dont have the knowhow to post them. they may be of help to someone in the same boat. if someone wants to post them for the public good email me at travis41wc@aol.com and i will email them to you.
GET YOUR ORANGE ON!!

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
That's great advice re: the magnet.
What's a magnet worth?
What sized magnet is sufficient?
One of the best small magnets you will find is inside an old multi platter HDD out of a PC. there is one either side of the pick up head coil and will need a small torx driver to undo the screws. . A word of warning though,DON'T TRAP any loose skin between them or you will get one hell of a pinch!!

The second picture shows the power,the magnet which is holding a pickaxe head that is on the other side of a plastering float!

Dave