Easiest way to install a tachometer on a G1900

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
I guess the Tinytac is the answer but why so expensive for a diesel ? Any other cheap options for a analog gauge tach on a G1900 with the D722 Engine ?

Thanks,
22R

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Yeah, I put a TinyTach on my BX, and I thought $100 for it was kind of high, but there really aren't many other options out then right now.

I didn't want to cut a hole in my dash, so I 3D printed a case for it and used one of the dash screws to mount it.

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Thought about putting one on my G1900 too. But the $100 price tag? Nah...didn't pay that much for the whole mower. My "tach" is comprised of starting the engine cold, warm it for about 10 seconds, then full throttle just before hitting the blade engagement lever. It has 1300 hours of this operation on it; compression is still 510 on all 3 cylinders so I'm pretty confident that it's ok.

I threw a little bitty turbo on it last year as well, makes 9 psi under full load/full rpm. Only difference I could tell was that it didn't throw out no smoke under a big load. Maybe a slight amount more torque but negligible in comparison. Pulled it back off and stashed the turbo for another project later on down the road.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The expense is in the 'sonic sensor' that clamps onto the 'fuel pipe'. The actual tach electronics is about $5 to build(BTDT). I may make my own sensor if I get the D-14 brakes back on and 'field ready'.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I would guess the sensor is a piezo device that generates a small signal when the line pulses upon injection in that cylinder.

Just the sensor from Tiny-Tach is $70. Yikes!

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
Thanks for all the responses guys. I recently acquired a G1900 in real good shape and I will likely go with the tiny tach in the future after I give the machine a good once over.

Thanks,
22R

LiL Tugger

Equipment
B4200D, RTV500, Z121S
Jan 23, 2019
houston
Yeah, I put a TinyTach on my BX, and I thought $100 for it was kind of high, but there really aren't many other options out then right now.

I didn't want to cut a hole in my dash, so I 3D printed a case for it and used one of the dash screws to mount it.
DLSMITH,
What is your opinion on the TT? How long have you had it? I have been reading up on these here and the net recently, looking at adding it to my B4200.

Thank you,
LT

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
DLSMITH,
What is your opinion on the TT? How long have you had it? I have been reading up on these here and the net recently, looking at adding it to my B4200.

Thank you,
LT
I've had it on my BX for almost a year, and it works great. It gives you RPM, event duration(current session time), total time since installed, 25 hour countdown and 50 hour countdown, the later two for servicing schedules.
The main display shows up fine in the sunlight, but the small displays for functions are pretty small for my old eyes.

Mount it, hook up power, ground and install the transducer on the line and you're ready to go.

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
I've had it on my BX for almost a year, and it works great. It gives you RPM, event duration(current session time), total time since installed, 25 hour countdown and 50 hour countdown, the later two for servicing schedules.
The main display shows up fine in the sunlight, but the small displays for functions are pretty small for my old eyes.

Mount it, hook up power, ground and install the transducer on the line and you're ready to go.
So it is powered by the tractor’s power not a internal battery ?
Does it have a replaceable battery for memory ?

22R

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Thought about putting one on my G1900 too. But the $100 price tag? Nah...didn't pay that much for the whole mower. My "tach" is comprised of starting the engine cold, warm it for about 10 seconds, then full throttle just before hitting the blade engagement lever. It has 1300 hours of this operation on it; compression is still 510 on all 3 cylinders so I'm pretty confident that it's ok.

I threw a little bitty turbo on it last year as well, makes 9 psi under full load/full rpm. Only difference I could tell was that it didn't throw out no smoke under a big load. Maybe a slight amount more torque but negligible in comparison. Pulled it back off and stashed the turbo for another project later on down the road.
Do you mind sharing photos and part numbers of the turbo and needed parts? Sounds interesting.

What engine is in the 1900? My dad has an 1800 and its the D660 IIRC.

Probably not what OP wanted to hear, but Im really not seeing the benefit of a tach besides curiosity. Idle at cold, 25-50% idle when hot and mid to 75% throttle for driving around and full throttle to mow.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Having a tach is kinda important. Consider buying a used tractor and the PO had engine work done on it and not setup the govenor to give the proper RPMs. Maybe it's top end is 3100 and not factory 3400. You can't hear it isn't correct but performance would be poor.
TT's are pricey, for what they are, as they seem to have the market sewn up. I had one of the infernal battery units, tore it apart when it 'died' so I know what's inside, same micro I've used for 3 decades. Their actual cost would be under $10 to make.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I guess the Tinytac is the answer but why so expensive for a diesel ? Any other cheap options for a analog gauge tach on a G1900 with the D722 Engine ?

Thanks,
22R
All you need is a used Hall effect sensor or magnetic sensor or photo sensor and make your own circuit board and you can have what you want for next to nothing. After spending hundreds of hours putting it all together making it work you can sell these on flea bay for $10.00.

Heres a starting point for you
https://www.electroschematics.com/motor-speed-sensor-module-circuit/

Sorry if Im not overly sympathetic but $100 these days is like $20 only 10 years ago. Even a cheapo handheld tach is going to cost $50-100. If you can afford a tractor toy you can probably afford the tach toy at $100.

Another option is Go to the tractor graveyard and pull a tach from one of their machines. Save $50 that way.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
So it is powered by the tractor’s power not a internal battery ?
Does it have a replaceable battery for memory ?

22R
Googlel tiny tach. They have a website and explain how it works. No battery. Uses tractor voltage and senses fuel injector activity via sonar on the injector delivery tubing. Has a memory chip. I’ve been wanting a tach for my Kubota rTV and will likely try this.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re:... $100 these days is like $20 only 10 years ago.
yeah, prices are lower....
My first 'PC' cost me 10,400 Canucks.... today's equal( actually faster,better) , I can buy for $2.

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
Having a tach is kinda important. Consider buying a used tractor and the PO had engine work done on it and not setup the govenor to give the proper RPMs. Maybe it's top end is 3100 and not factory 3400. You can't hear it isn't correct but performance would be poor.
TT's are pricey, for what they are, as they seem to have the market sewn up. I had one of the infernal battery units, tore it apart when it 'died' so I know what's inside, same micro I've used for 3 decades. Their actual cost would be under $10 to make.
Thank you ! And thanks for all replies Guys

22R

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Very good point. I never thought of it that way.