DYI Rear Remotes

Jka1880

Equipment
Bx1880
Apr 29, 2024
Canada
I just got my Bx1880 last week and got to thinking it would be nice to have some rear remotes to operate my little wood spliter. I don't know much about hydraulics for these little tractors and what I watch on youtube never answered my questions. Anyhow I'm wonder is there a way to build my own rear remotes from scratch? Do I have to mess with getting a 3rd function kit to operate them? My tractor already has a loader so could I steal hydraulic power off those hoses to power the rear remotes or does it already have the 3rd function kit since it has a loader? Sorry for all the questions but I am a big noob when it comes to this stuff but at the same time I'm willing to learn.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I hate to bust your bubble - but ifn you do hook this up to your rear hydraulics - you will be very UNhappy with the performance - it will be very slow, the flow rate on that machine is small to begin with so adding a good size cylinder will make it almost anemic.

By the time you spend the money on the remotes and the splitter - you could have bought a pull behind splitter and thus have your cake and eat it too. The splitter stays where the wood is located - the FEL takes the wood where it needs to go. Yes - having two different machines is something else to keep up with, but I assure you the bigger pictures will be much better.

Reactions: 1 users

Jka1880

Equipment
Bx1880
Apr 29, 2024
Canada
I hate to bust your bubble - but ifn you do hook this up to your rear hydraulics - you will be very UNhappy with the performance - it will be very slow, the flow rate on that machine is small to begin with so adding a good size cylinder will make it almost anemic.

By the time you spend the money on the remotes and the splitter - you could have bought a pull behind splitter and thus have your cake and eat it too. The splitter stays where the wood is located - the FEL takes the wood where it needs to go. Yes - having two different machines is something else to keep up with, but I assure you the bigger pictures will be much better.
I kind of thought that but figured I would ask to make sure. I would most likely use the rear remotes for more than just that. grapple for bucket or things like running lift cylinders on my little atv disk or blade

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
So I wanted hydraulics for 3 point hitch Top and tilt hydraulics but also a grapple. I installed a 3 spool valve and mounded it above my FEL. I did that since I could reuse a couple of hoses. If you don't know by now, hydraulic valves are plumbed in series, one after another. I removed the high pressure out of the FEL (called the "Power Beyond") and attached to to the new 3 spool, power beyond port (high pressure out...) this line is used to power the 3 point hitch (or backhoe).

I bought a hydraulic hose to go from the old FEL High pressure out (called Power Beyond port) and connected it to the IN port of the new valve (just a loop to the new valve). Only thing left was to connect the "T" port (which is a return to the tank - it's a low pressure 500 psi-ish line) which I ended up connecting to the return line of the FEL (about 3 or 4" inches away). The return to tank is the only line you can "T" like that.

This is the cheapest way to hook things up... I added a couple of needle valves to slow down the speed of the top ans tilt hydraulics so I can feather the controls.

This is what it looks like without the FEL attached... it is a "bird's nest" but it's in an out of the way location. At least in my opinion.

You can follow the same instructions and place the 3 spool any where you like, you just have to get longer hoses to make the connections....

Attachments

Jka1880

Equipment
Bx1880
Apr 29, 2024
Canada
So I wanted hydraulics for 3 point hitch Top and tilt hydraulics but also a grapple. I installed a 3 spool valve and mounded it above my FEL. I did that since I could reuse a couple of hoses. If you don't know by now, hydraulic valves are plumbed in series, one after another. I removed the high pressure out of the FEL (called the "Power Beyond") and attached to to the new 3 spool, power beyond port (high pressure out...) this line is used to power the 3 point hitch (or backhoe).

I bought a hydraulic hose to go from the old FEL High pressure out (called Power Beyond port) and connected it to the IN port of the new valve (just a loop to the new valve). Only thing left was to connect the "T" port (which is a return to the tank - it's a low pressure 500 psi-ish line) which I ended up connecting to the return line of the FEL (about 3 or 4" inches away). The return to tank is the only line you can "T" like that.

This is the cheapest way to hook things up... I added a couple of needle valves to slow down the speed of the top ans tilt hydraulics so I can feather the controls.

This is what it looks like without the FEL attached... it is a "bird's nest" but it's in an out of the way location. At least in my opinion.

You can follow the same instructions and place the 3 spool any where you like, you just have to get longer hoses to make the connections....
On my little tractor the loader is controlled by a joystick instead of levers. So I should take the hydraulic line that is feeding the joystick and have it run to the valve for the remotes with a by pass in between for fluid to still go to the joystick? (Kind of like how a hydraulic fan system works where excess fluid is allowed to by pass the fan motor when there is too much flow)

This is sort of what I was thinking for a valve. probably will go with a higher flow rate
https://www.princessauto.com/en/18-gpm-directional-control-valve-with-kick-off/product/PA0008457442

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I kind of thought that but figured I would ask to make sure. I would most likely use the rear remotes for more than just that. grapple for bucket or things like running lift cylinders on my little atv disk or blade
On my little tractor the loader is controlled by a joystick instead of levers. So I should take the hydraulic line that is feeding the joystick and have it run to the valve for the remotes with a by pass in between for fluid to still go to the joystick? (Kind of like how a hydraulic fan system works where excess fluid is allowed to by pass the fan motor when there is too much flow)

This is sort of what I was thinking for a valve. probably will go with a higher flow rate
https://www.princessauto.com/en/18-gpm-directional-control-valve-with-kick-off/product/PA0008457442
No need to try and cannabilize the loader valve. A DIY rear remote valve can be added quite easily and inexpensively. The biggest issue is esthetics - its going to look like what it is - an after thought.

According to Kubota you have 5.3 GPM which will run a properly designed 3pt logsplitter faster than most people think and you dont need a remote valve to do it. No doubt that comment will unleash the hounds.

Dan

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
IMG_1837.jpeg
IMG_0070.jpeg
IMG_1415.jpeg
Search this forum, as I did, and you will find examples and info on how to plumb it. After gaining some confidence and info I bought a valve set and mount bracket on line and had the hoses made up. I use it for the TnT, back hoe thumb.

Reactions: 1 user

Jka1880

Equipment
Bx1880
Apr 29, 2024
Canada
So I started to get a list together for what I need. Most of the parts I will wait until they go on sale to save a bit more since I don't need the remotes this minute. I did manage to get a single control valve. (link below) The only thing I am wondering about is about is what type of connector do I need to screw into the plug on the side of the tractor. https://www.princessauto.com/en/30-...h-kick-off/product/PA0008666562?skuId=8666562.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So I started to get a list together for what I need. Most of the parts I will wait until they go on sale to save a bit more since I don't need the remotes this minute. I did manage to get a single control valve. (link below) The only thing I am wondering about is about is what type of connector do I need to screw into the plug on the side of the tractor. https://www.princessauto.com/en/30-...h-kick-off/product/PA0008666562?skuId=8666562.
That is a log splitter valve and will not work for what you want.

Dan

Jka1880

Equipment
Bx1880
Apr 29, 2024
Canada
Good thing I posted it before buying. That could have been bad. lol Any suggestions on what I should get? I'm only looking for a single valve.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Good thing I posted it before buying. That could have been bad. lol Any suggestions on what I should get? I'm only looking for a single valve.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user