Drilling a LA525 loader frame

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I think this discussion is verging on paranoia. I see no risk of structural compromise from drilling a couple small screw holes in a loader frame.

Dan
I drilled and tapped a couple 1/4-20 on each side to mount golf cart mirrors. But for something like a cane I made a mount out of a 5" exhaust clamp that I welded a short piece of metal tubing on the saddle then slid in some pvc about 30" long. Clamping that to the round loader mount I carry and axe that is always handy on the left side. Sorry no picture right now. But the clamp size being 5" you could bolt a pvc cap of any suitable size to it and then add a cane length tube.

Bill

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I would use the magnet method plus add a tether to the cane in case of a magnet failure or other reason the cane might be knocked off. He made it clear that the cane is all important to him so added security is a good thing.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
This is my axe holder. Something with same or smaller tube could hold cane. Also I drilled for a couple 1/4-20 to hold on the wooden shovel mount I made for a Little Pal square point shovel I use to clean out loader and backhoe buckets. No hydraulic lines were hurt in any of this as they don't exist on this side of the mount. Again, at least on my L2501 and LA525 that large mount tube is 5".

Bill

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
This is my axe holder. Something with same or smaller tube could hold cane. Also I drilled for a couple 1/4-20 to hold on the wooden shovel mount I made for a Little Pal square point shovel I use to clean out loader and backhoe buckets. No hydraulic lines were hurt in any of this as they don't exist on this side of the mount. Again, at least on my L2501 and LA525 that large mount tube is 5".

Bill
I did something similar when I mounted my seat lift contraption on my LA525 loader frame. I uses 5 inch u-bolts that attach to a 1/4 inch plate.
I also tied into the loader pin to give lateral support due to some heavy side loads when I use it to get up and off my tractor. That 5 inch round with space between the tractor and upright loader bracket really lends itself to all kinds of mounting possibilities. I would have mounted a 30cal ammo can as a extra tool box had I not needed it for my seat lift.

IMG_4419.JPG
IMG_4417.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I did something similar when I mounted my seat lift contraption on my LA525 loader frame. I uses 5 inch u-bolts that attach to a 1/4 inch plate.
I also tied into the loader pin to give lateral support due to some heavy side loads when I use it to get up and off my tractor. That 5 inch round with space between the tractor and upright loader bracket really lends itself to all kinds of mounting possibilities. I would have mounted a 30cal ammo can as a extra tool box had I not needed it for my seat lift.

View attachment 112449 View attachment 112450
Ken,
Is that lever on the right an extension for you on the treadle pedal? Is that your own design too?

Nice job on that lift too!

Bill

Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ken,
Is that lever on the right an extension for you on the treadle pedal? Is that your own design too?

Nice job on that lift too!

Bill
Bill,
Yes for the lever on the right being my HST pedal extension. The only other hand control I made was the clutch extension which you can see in this picture. My goal when making the modifications for hand controlling this tractor was to also allow able-bodied folks to step on and not have the controls in the way.
Ken

IMG_4705.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Please make it stop.

!!! THERE ARE NO HIDDEN HYDRAULIC LINES ON A LA525 LOADER !!!
I don't think drilling and tapping is the issue. No paranoia.
Just easier solutions to mount something that weighs a couple pounds at most.

Heavy zip ties or worm screw pipe clamps and pvc pipe, magnets, velcro.

Drill away and tap away. Hit nothing vital. But there's easier ways.

Reactions: 1 user

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I think this discussion is verging on paranoia. I see no risk of structural compromise from drilling a couple small screw holes in a loader frame.

Dan
Coming from the classic car world, holes in random places where they were never supposed to be just triggers my ptsd.

Im looking at YOU older members with your damn "Econometers" and other various gauges just drilled into the top of my expensive dash pads! 🤬

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Coming from the classic car world, holes in random places where they were never supposed to be just triggers my ptsd.

Im looking at YOU older members with your damn "Econometers" and other various gauges just drilled into the top of my expensive dash pads! 🤬
Guess you wouldn't approve of my 8N. it has a lot of holes and a lot of dash work to make an electric power steering from a chevy venture fit in there! But it is a great working tractor with it's front mounted hydraulic pump and a tank behind the seat. An original dearborn front plow that is used for snow with hyd lift and angle .

But I understand where you are coming from, and I love this old ford and use it almost as much as the kubota.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Guess you wouldn't approve of my 8N. it has a lot of holes and a lot of dash work to make an electric power steering from a chevy venture fit in there! But it is a great working tractor with it's front mounted hydraulic pump and a tank behind the seat. An original dearborn front plow that is used for snow with hyd lift and angle .

But I understand where you are coming from, and I love this old ford and use it almost as much as the kubota.
Funny you should mention it, I have a 2n. On the to do list for it is to replace the fenders that are full of holes in the wrong places. Also the roll cage on my SxS which has been turned to swiss cheese for a makeshift roof. Self tapping screws are not the end all be all of everything!

Not that I can't appreciate making modifications that drastically improve the functionality of something. Like adding power steering or air conditioning. Its when people start adding holes and screws for things that either, A: Shouldn't be there at all like things screwed into dash pads, B: Adding in switches instead of properly fixing an issue or better yet neglecting factory placed holes specifically for said switchs C: Could be avoided entirely with the use of an alternative like magnets that are usually also easier for that task or D: involves permanent damage to a very expensive piece like the gauge bezel in my car for your crappy 90s Sony radio.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Please make it stop.

!!! THERE ARE NO HIDDEN HYDRAULIC LINES ON A LA525 LOADER !!!
Especially on the left side (e.g. the on/off side) non-control side, on the vertical support portion of the FEL.

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
If you do drill the holes make sure they get filled, with a bolt, something solid. A filled hole is stronger than not. :)