Drilling a LA525 loader frame

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I want to drill & tap a few holes in the frame on my LA525 loader . I want to drill the frame upright to make a place to put my cane when I'm using the tractor . I've looked it over pretty good & I'm pretty sure it won't be a issue but thought I'd put it out there incase theres somethingI'm missing .
thanks
animals45

Trash Panda

Equipment
L2501
Feb 18, 2022
Wyoming
I’d avoid it, and lean towards using banding or something similar. Even adhesive strips would work for something light as a cane.

I know dealers get jumpy about holes in things; especially ROPS and loader parts.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I personally do not think you would have any issues drilling and tapping a small hole to Attach a spring clamp etc for your cane.
As Trash Panda mentioned though there is probably workable alternatives that would secure your cane without drilling.

Last edited:

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I need something like a piece of PVC . If I'm out on the road blowin snow & my cane pops off somewhere I'm screwed . Thats who I wanted to bolt a piece of pipe that my cane drops down into so I don't have to worry about it . I haven't seen. any adhesives that I can trust to take vibration for prolonged times in under freezing weather .
thanks
animals45

Reactions: 1 users

Trash Panda

Equipment
L2501
Feb 18, 2022
Wyoming
I need something like a piece of PVC . If I'm out on the road blowin snow & my cane pops off somewhere I'm screwed . Thats who I wanted to bolt a piece of pipe that my cane drops down into so I don't have to worry about it . I haven't seen. any adhesives that I can trust to take vibration for prolonged times in under freezing weather .
thanks
animals45
Sounds like banding or heavy zip ties would do it.

Reactions: 1 user

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Maybe some high strength magnets. I did that for some lighting on my roll bar before I added a canopy. I purchased them off of Amazon. Try searching something like this and you might fin a really good option.
Neodymium Rectangular Pot Magnets 45lbs, 40x13.5x5mm Strong Bar Magnets with Countersunk Hole and Matching Screws

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you want to drill holes just do it at the neutral axis of the tower and you’ll not have any problems. The neutral axis will be along the middle of the tower so you can just drill holes at near the center and be careful not to drill through the wall very vigorously.

I have no experience with these but have heard good reviews

I would probably just use a couple of large worm clamps to attach the pipe in place with some sort of “rubber“ padding to protect the loader towers

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
+1 for magnets

A good set of magnets on a flat surface will hold just fine. Hell even cheap ones will hold of their strong enough. I've got some magnetic cub holders that double as a coat rack at work.

What I would do is get 3 of these:

Then get you an 8" or so piece of pipe, remove the hooks and bolt the pipe to it. Be warned the rubber for the scratch proofing is just, just remove it first. At 75lbs of hold stength, (probably closer to 60) you'd probably have to hit it with something for it to come off. Plus they're already orange.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Another magnet vote here.

Attach a couple moderately strong magnets to your cane, and set your cane right on top of the hood. You'll see it if it falls off, it's right in front of you. Yeah, you'll eventually scratch the hood. But it's a tractor, not a Ferrari. So what.

Glad to hear that you are still tractoring while needing a cane! That is awesome.

Another Kubota bonus with a steel hood instead of JD plastic.

3 or 4 of these should work. These are very strong. And they are even countersunk for screwing into your cane. A few wood screws, and you're in business.

Slap the cane onto you refrigerator too. Or anything steel.

Screenshot_20230924_023956_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
I agree that magnets are the best solution. Combined with a couple spring clamp, the cane should be held securely.

I used a heavier magnet to mount an LED light on my ROPS and it doesn't move...

4 Inch LED.jpg

Here's some Spring Clamps
Here's some small Magnets

You'll have to either cut the bolt on the magnet shorter, or use some extra washers to not have it interfere with inserting the cane into the clips.

You could also put a piece of Velcro between the clamp and magnet for added security to keep it in place. Push the cane into the clamp, and then wrap the Velcro.

Spring Clamps.jpg

Magnets.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
thanks
animals45
I think this discussion is verging on paranoia. I see no risk of structural compromise from drilling a couple small screw holes in a loader frame.

Dan

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
If you want to use the PVC pipe...you could drill a small hole on each end of the PVC pipe and mount the magnet. on the bottom, drill the hole up enough so you can glue on an end cap.

Again on the top where you'd insert the cane, have the magnet bolt only be long enough so it doesn't stick out beyond the nut and lock washer.

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
I think this discussion is verging on paranoia. I see no risk of structural compromise from drilling a couple small screw holes in a loader frame.

Dan
I agree...but if another option exist that doesn't involve making a "permanent" modification, I'd rather go that route. Just my opinion.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I want to drill & tap a few holes in the frame on my LA525 loader . I want to drill the frame upright to make a place to put my cane when I'm using the tractor . I've looked it over pretty good & I'm pretty sure it won't be a issue but thought I'd put it out there incase theres somethingI'm missing .
thanks
animals45
DON'T

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Drilling into the frame isn't the issue , it's STOPPING before hitting the hidden, $$$$ stuff !!! Wosrt case is you 'graze' one of the steel lines (bit chews a small groove)....days,weeks, months later you get oil shooting all over......
You MIGHT get lucky using short selfdrilling screws, might......all depends on Mr. Murphy.

My 'vote' is for magnets. I have those in post #12. dang they are strong ,especially for their size ! Screw 2-3 onto your cane and it'll stay put