Disc Harrow Problem

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Neighbor picked up this disc harrow that had been wrecked. Mounting brackets on the left side were not 90deg., but bent out. I repaired them, and started playing with it. I know nothing about farming, so it was a learning experience. I tried using my hydraulic top link to change the level from front down to front up, but keep ending up with these deep valleys. I don't know if this is normal, if not what is the cure.
Furrows.jpg
Disc.jpg

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would say they are normal. That said, you can adjust the disk so they are not as deep. The angle of the disk determine the size of the ruts. So if you make the adjustments to make the rear gangs more perpendicular to the direction of travel the smaller the ruts. The down side is they will not turn the soil as well and more then likely require an extra pass or two.

A lot of people would just chain a railroad tie to the rear of the disk as a drag to flatten the everything. Use 2 chains so that the tie stays perpendicular to the direction of travel. As apposed to making the chain into a V behind the disk.

Removing the extra weight from the disk will also let the disk ride higher thus the ruts will not be as deep. But the disk will not chop the soil as well and require extra pass to get the soil copped up as well.

Last edited:

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
When I first used mine I discovered that the tilt would affect those valleys. Try adjusting your top link until they "mostly" go away. I was able to get them fairly small, but never completely gone.