Disappointed

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Ok..A little disappointed with my new Kodiak Landscape Rake. A month ago I purchased a 72" Kodiak (by Paladin) Landscape Rake. Looked sturdy and well built. I noticed yesterday, that only 5 or 6 Tines are touching the ground in the center, and both ends are raised about 2 1/2 inches off the ground. (on my cement floor in the garage). I am not using a John Deere 4440, or a Case-IH Mx230.....I have a little L2501 for Petes sake !! The Angle Iron that the Tines mount to is bent backwards and upwards. Wow....I mean WOW...

Called the dealer to ask about warranty on this thing and of course the answer was " We have never seen that before on one of those Rakes". Go figure. They told me to bring it in and they would straighten it back out.....I'm not being left in a state of high confidence. They are most likely going to heat it and bend it back to shape, and that will make things worse. I am thinking of rebuilding the whole thing (seeing as it seems to be such a weak POS), with 2"x3" box channel, and just weld it to the Angle Iron after getting it straightened out.

I am pretty unsatisfied with this implement, as I don't abuse my equipment in any sense of the word. The only thing I did with it was rake out my back yard after Box Blading it really well. There was at no time, a full Rake...ever. My back yard is pretty small so even the torn up Sod didn't fill the Rake in one pass. It's weird. Weak Steel maybe? Has anyone else ever experienced this type of damage to a Landscape rake??

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Not to sure but Im thinking ya might want to go for a new one not having this one fixed or your money back

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
Not to sure but Im thinking ya might want to go for a new one not having this one fixed or your money back
Kind of thinking about not getting it fixed. But, I have done business with this dealer for many years. I should probably give them a chance to see what they can do. If they don't charge me anything...what the heck. But if they do intend to charge me, I will do it myself. I know it will be done right without cutting corners...or cost. I just cant believe that thing twisted up like that though.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
What is the structure that got bent made of? I'm guessing angle iron. Your idea for capping it with channel is a good one.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
What is the structure that got bent made of? I'm guessing angle iron. Your idea for capping it with channel is a good one.
Yeah...It's Angle Iron...Not very thick either. It looks more twisted than bent, but still..... Unacceptable performance from this implement. If I am the one to fix it (which will probably end up happening when all is said and done)....it will never bend or twist again.

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
It's advertised to be able to use to clear rocks and stones so I think I would give little patience before getting a refund.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Beaterboss, I'd suggest taking some pictures of the area you worked it. Then take the rake to the dealer to show them the damage and pictures of the area that caused the damage. Then they see the quality of the product they sold since it wasn't abused by a large tractor.

Suggest a replacement or refund.

If that doesn't get you good results, then revert to your plan of building it like you need it. This may be the best result (you rebuilding it), because the new one may have similar problems.

Good luck.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
It's advertised to be able to use to clear rocks and stones so I think I would give little patience before getting a refund.
Oh, I'm a patient person. I know I didn't abuse it in any way. The dealer is a good guy and I'm not blaming them for anything at all. Maybe I just got a bad specimen of the rake, because my Box Blade is from the same manufacturer, and that thing is built like a brick out-house. Robust beyond necessary. I really don't know what happened. I know I never hit anything with it, and didn't do anything I haven't done with any other rake I have had.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
Beaterboss, I'd suggest taking some pictures of the area you worked it. Then take the rake to the dealer to show them the damage and pictures of the area that caused the damage. Then they see the quality of the product they sold since it wasn't abused by a large tractor.

Suggest a replacement or refund.

If that doesn't get you good results, then revert to your plan of building it like you need it. This may be the best result (you rebuilding it), because the new one may have similar problems.

Good luck.
I think doing the work myself may be the route I will travel. I have had rakes of different sizes before, some got pounded and never had any issues. This one was used to "Go to Church on Sundays" so to speak, so I'm at a loss. No clue what could have caused the issue. With spring Tines on the thing, I can't see how it's possible to twist that angle iron like that. The Tines should release way before that can happen. :confused:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I just looked up images of your rake and I can see where it would do the twist at the ends. Looks like 4x3x1/4 angle with the tines being bolted to the 4" side. If I were to modify it, I would take the same size angle and create a box by stitch welding it to the topside. Bad part would be drilling access holes to get at the bolts for replacing the tines. What strikes me as kind of strange is the 3ph and everything else is built rather well and then they put that flimsy angle out there to take the punishment. Might be one of those bean counter things.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 20, 2017
I have room to fit a 2 1/2 x 3" Square Box channel in front of that Angle Iron. It will limit my angle options, but I never use that anyway. Clamp and weld, should bring it back into alignment. I don't want to place another angle over the existing one and stitch weld for the reason you stated. It would be a son of a gun to make access holes for the tine bolts. Plus, with all of the holes, it would likely weaken the structure. Would look cool though...LOL!!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The angle iron thing seems like the best plan. But a lot of holes to drill and will weaken it. But flipping the angle and making a c channel will at least double the strength. Still a lot of holes to drill.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I just recently bought a 6 ft landscape rake from Rural King. I have not had any problems yet, but I always planned on strengthening the angle iron frame as it is set up the same as yours to prevent any problems. My plan was to weld in about a 3 inch wide piece of 3/8 inch flat stock, so it fit in good and I can still get to the tine bolts for replacement. this should strengthen it and give it a little more weight. I feel this will be a good solution, but maybe Yooper can weigh in to let me know if this is a good plan. The pic I am showing is just for illustration and not the what I will be using. I will go from the center all the way out to the edge on both sides.

View attachment 30020

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Your idea would help the twisting issue. Warping the angle from the welds is what I'm concerned about.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Your idea would help the twisting issue. Warping the angle from the welds is what I'm concerned about.
Understand what youi are saying about the heat. I have warped stuff learning about heat drawing while welding, but I think stitch welding an inch or so at time and alternating ends it can be done and no holes to drill. What do you think?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
You are spot on with the procedure. But even stitch welds will warp the angle. Think of some way to hold the angle by clamping a structural to the angle or tacking a temporary truss rod. I've also used a bottle jack and chain and stitch the ends first, then a pump or two on the jack to pre stress it a bit. Hope this makes sense.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
You are spot on with the procedure. But even stitch welds will warp the angle. Think of some way to hold the angle by clamping a structural to the angle or tacking a temporary truss rod. I've also used a bottle jack and chain and stitch the ends first, then a pump or two on the jack to pre stress it a bit. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks Yooper. I understand what you are saying and I will do that when I go to weld it up. I appreciate the tips.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Don't forget to post some pictures!
I sure will when I get to it. It is amazing how full my schedule is being retired, but sure enjoyong it!!

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Don't forget to post some pictures!
Just a follow up to beefing up my new landscape rake. I finally got time to do it. I had a piece of 3/16 steel that was long enough,28" and 7"wide. I cut the piece in half to have 2 -3 1/2" pieces which was going to be perfect to do what I wanted. I marked out where they were going to go and ground of the paint. Hardest thing was finding a way to clamp it with all the angles. Finally figured a way to clamp it that was very secure. I then after taking Yoopers advice, tacked it up starting with the ends, and then the middle. I then stitch welded it up using the same procedure. I went slow so as not to warp it. Everything went good and the rake stayed straight as an arrow. I think this is going to be a good fix, and this way you have full access to all of the tine bolts.

View attachment 30424

View attachment 30425

View attachment 30426

View attachment 30427

View attachment 30428

Last edited: