Digging a swale

bliebold

Equipment
L2501
Aug 7, 2017
Pipe Creek TX
So I need to dig a swale to help with water runoff at my parents place since they live on a hill. I have a mx4800 and we are in the Texas hill country which is lots of rocks.

That being said the loader might work with my bucket which I am going to try.

My other thought was my land planer and tilting it with the scarifies down and just going back and forth a few hundred times. It only needs to be 100ft or so. I have also heard mention of a v plow, box blade, or renting a mini excavator.

A penny for your thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You might try dragging a middle buster through that area a few times going a little deeper each time

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Lived in Wimberly for a short time, couldn't even dig a flower bed due to rock. Depending on the amount of rock, you might break up the rock with your scarifiers, and then blade the area. But I've seen areas around Dripping Springs you had to have a rock saw to do anything below ground.
I have used a mini excavator with a Rock hammer to open up ditches.
Or you can rent a jack hammer. They're not fun, but they do work.
Depends on what terrain you are dealing with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Lots of ways to handle run-off. Rather than dig, I added a 50 yard ridge that moves the water off to the side of our house. It’s only about 6” high and maybe 2 feet wide. If you have extra dirt available perhaps worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bliebold

Equipment
L2501
Aug 7, 2017
Pipe Creek TX
Lived in Wimberly for a short time, couldn't even dig a flower bed due to rock. Depending on the amount of rock, you might break up the rock with your scarifiers, and then blade the area. But I've seen areas around Dripping Springs you had to have a rock saw to do anything below ground.
I have used a mini excavator with a Rock hammer to open up ditches.
Or you can rent a jack hammer. They're not fun, but they do work.
Depends on what terrain you are dealing with.

So far its been loose dirt with softball to small boulders. My bucket will reveal more when i get onsite but just looking for some insights as to next steps if the bucket isnt going to get it done.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
So far its been loose dirt with softball to small boulders. My bucket will reveal more when i get onsite but just looking for some insights as to next steps if the bucket isnt going to get it done.
Going slow with the scarifiers would be a must, in case you hang a big boulder. It doesn't take much to get water to drain, 0.1" will do the job. As mentioned previously, a berm can provide runoff protection.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I did one on my property a few years back. Didn't have a FEL at the time. I started out using a middle buster to loosen things up, and then a back blade to kind of smooth it. That worked for a year or two, but was really rough hitting it with my mower.

So I tackled it a second time. This time I had a box blade and rippers. Went back and forth over the area for the swale with the rippers chewing it all up. The area chewed up was around 10 ft wide on the low side where it dumped. The high side, I chewed up around a 30ft to 40 ft wide area, and moved a butt load of that material down slope. I basically knocked down a hill and filled in a gully.

Took most of the day, but the end results was a smooth gradual drop from one side of the yard to the other, with nice gradual swale so the mower wouldn't go airborne if you forgot about it :D

Was much happier with the results after using the box blade. :D