DEF or no DEF

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Don't feed the troll!! He's (again) pointing out that he thinks a BX is only good for lawn mowing.

If you're serious about lawn mowing you of course need an F series, not a ZTR.
I suspect that "the troll" may be essentially correct.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I suspect that "the troll" may be essentially correct.
Doesn't fuss me much, it's an ongoing joke. Those new around here may not know it though, and this particular version was a bit more obscure.

I had a BX for a few years. I did a lot more than mowing with it. But I'd agree that a BX is usually bought by someone who is _primarily_ mowing or snow blowing or other home type tasks. Doesn't mean you can't move dirt with it (I moved a lot of dirt), run a tiller (I did that a few times), lay a lawn, run a chipper, use the 3ph to move pallets of stuff around. Horses for courses as always.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT, I hate to see anyone selling everything to move, and I dont know why the move, but I do wish you the very best. And MHO for a small plot a BX 2680 or what ever the latest BX is, would do just about everything you need,, but hell you all ready know that ;)
I will never buy any tractor without position control, which rules out the BX series until Kubota once again makes it standard equipment, which is just about inevitable.

Will likely buy a ZTR or an LX4020 (just because I want one).

Reactions: 2 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I will never buy any tractor without position control, which rules out the BX series
To be fair, a ZTR doesn't have position control either. So if you're buying something just for lawn mowing duties, this shouldn't be a deal breaker. :)

Will likely buy a ZTR or an LX4020 (just because I want one).
Get the LX4020. You'll have plenty of jobs that you need it for.

Personally I find a B2601 to be a good size machine. Not too much bigger that a mower (you can almost justify it for an acre), but big enough to do tractor stuff around the neighbourhood. And it does have position control.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
To be fair, a ZTR doesn't have position control either. So if you're buying something just for lawn mowing duties, this shouldn't be a deal breaker. :)

Get the LX4020. You'll have plenty of jobs that you need it for.

Personally I find a B2601 to be a good size machine. Not too much bigger that a mower (you can almost justify it for an acre), but big enough to do tractor stuff around the neighbourhood. And it does have position control.
A ZTR is a lawn mower, whereas, a tractor is intended for multiple uses. This is, of course, why I specified "tractor."

Based upon over 5 decades of experience, a lack of position control is an absolute deal breaker for me.

Moreover, I do not like suspended MMMs, which are necessary without position control.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Moreover, I do not like suspended MMMs, which are necessary without position control.
Entirely fair, your tractor your rules. I don't imagine you with a BX anyway, a B is basically the same size, the main selling proposition to me of the BX is that it's low to the ground - i.e. suits people who don't want a full tractor. You have no issues with having a full tractor.

I thought a suspended deck hung from the 3ph, a non-suspended deck rode on wheels. So to me a non-suspended deck doesn't need position control, arguably a suspended deck might need position control (since deck height is controlled by the 3ph). Having said that, in reality the 3ph is all the way down, and the deck height is controlled by the height knob - so you don't need position control there either.

Not saying you shouldn't have position control. I have it on my B and never really use it. It's a bit better than the BX quarter inching, but in reality my 3ph is usually full up or full down. If you do dirt work (grading and the like) then position is much more important.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Entirely fair, your tractor your rules. I don't imagine you with a BX anyway, a B is basically the same size, the main selling proposition to me of the BX is that it's low to the ground - i.e. suits people who don't want a full tractor. You have no issues with having a full tractor.

I thought a suspended deck hung from the 3ph, a non-suspended deck rode on wheels. So to me a non-suspended deck doesn't need position control, arguably a suspended deck might need position control (since deck height is controlled by the 3ph). Having said that, in reality the 3ph is all the way down, and the deck height is controlled by the height knob - so you don't need position control there either.

Not saying you shouldn't have position control. I have it on my B and never really use it. It's a bit better than the BX quarter inching, but in reality my 3ph is usually full up or full down. If you do dirt work (grading and the like) then position is much more important.
Actually, suspended decks were developed to work with tractors without position control as a cost reduction measure. Suspended decks are suspended from the mechanism above and cutting height is controlled by the adjustment wheel rather than gage wheels. Accordingly, cutting height cannot be viably adjusted on the fly as I can and often do with the terrain following deck on my B1750, using the position control feature. Cannot do this without position control.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Don't feed the troll!! He's (again) pointing out that he thinks a BX is only good for lawn mowing.

If you're serious about lawn mowing you of course need an F series, not a ZTR.
Hagrid is hardly a “troll”.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Hagrid is hardly a “troll”.
Well, his photo says otherwise!!

But seriously, on the matter of the BX and what it's good for, he does deliberately provoke people by declaring it's only good for lawn mowing. That was my point. He's also a valued forum member and entertaining. I was really only pointing out that engaging with Hagrid on the matter of what a BX is good for is a pointless exercise, as compared to engaging on his many other thought provoking contributions.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Hagrid is hardly a “troll”.

yeah, tolls are better looking !:)

re: engaging with Hagrid on the matter of what a BX is good for is a pointless exercise,

yeah, as we KNOW the BX is GREAT, Hagrid has been misinformed( by CNN ?) :giggle:

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
re: Hagrid is hardly a “troll”.

yeah, tolls are better looking !:)

re: engaging with Hagrid on the matter of what a BX is good for is a pointless exercise,

yeah, as we KNOW the BX is GREAT, Hagrid has been misinformed( by CNN ?) :giggle:
Fake news!

It was here that I learned teh BX23S is 99% lawn mowing, .9% posing, and .1% tractor work.

@lugbolt

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Gee, in over 5 years and 1100 hrs, my BX23S has never ever mowed 1 blade of grass ,let alone a whole lawn since it doesn't have the MMM. Was bought as a TLB and will always be a TLB., so it's in the top .1% of the class !!!