Deed Question regarding survey description

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I believe “Motion” has the best/correct suggestion. The surveyor who documented your survey is responsible for correcting any errors of description. You should get this resolved before everyone/anyone involved disappears and is no longer accountable. (and get title insurance if available)

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
In your first post you indicated that you shouldn't worry about it, but it worried you enough to ask. Not sure about you, but when I was growing up, I watched my than my fair share of Westerns and still do, I'd bet that over 80% were based on land grabs and disputes. The Indians didn't worry about their hunting lands and see what it got them. Throughout history (and as I write this) look at how many wars were/are started over land.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just curious as you obviously have a clue since you took the time to read the deeds, but are you 100% certain the deed is wrong? I'm not sure what your background is, hence the question. Not too many people out there fully understand metes and bounds or legal property descriptions.
Sorry for the delay getting back.

I’m pretty sure I’m correct, because there are three properties in question, joined together on one deed now, and when I work through the surveys of the other two their 4 sides do close back together into a complete geometric shape. It is just this one that doesn’t. And as fried1765 said, it’s pretty obvious if you change the direction of the one side, the 4th side does close back onto the starting point.

Actually, as a simplified method to verify I wasn’t making an error, I simply drew four vectors, with the starting point of each simply being the head of the arrow point on the previous one. In other two surveys the final vector points back to the starting point of the first one. On the deed in question the final vector points away from the starting point of the first vector.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'd start with a surveyor, preferably the one who subdivided the property originally and have him confirm your concerns, additionally I'd suggest having him produce a certified survey showing all improvements, easements, ROW's, utilities, fence rows, etc. Also have him confirm that what you have, matches your tax bills, personally I prefer to have everything on one tax bill.
I think it’s been at least 80 years and could be 100 years since the larger property that these properties were subdivided from actually was subdivided. Doubt any of the original participants in the subdividing process are still on the planet above ground. The 3 properties have separate lot & block numbers and separate surveys on the deeds.

I may have a copy of the previous deed as it was written before the property was transferred into my name, about 20 years ago if I remember right. If I do, I will check that to see whether an error occurred at the time of purchase.

I also would prefer just to have one tax bill, but 10 or 12 years ago we had the second of two property reassessments in the county and it became a real circus. I was fortunate to appeal my property evaluations and get very favorable results. I don’t want to do anything that might change that and fear if I would try to put all the properties under one tax billing, this might result in a reassessment that would probably double the taxes I pay yearly.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd rather have FOUR tax bills. THAT would show 'legally' they WERE all SEPARATE properties. That way you can easily sell ANY of them.
i know, different lands, different rules but......