Darn glow plug issue now worse

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Darn glow plug issue now FIXED

After an intermittent problem of the gp indicator light sometimes coming on and going off or flickering whenever it felt like it, it is now full on all the time. If I turn the key it comes on and if I wait before cranking I don't hear the relay click off. The tractor starts and runs fine but the yellow light is on always now. I'm reluctant to operate it for fear of burning out the glow plugs. 1200 hours and nothing but routine maintenence on this unit till now. Grrrrr. I should have worked it over before now because of course I really need it. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 Thought: Replace the relay!
#2 Thought: Disconnect the relay and hope the glow plugs haven't already burned out.

Note: It's warm enough that the tractor will start fine without the glow plugs so you can still use it, just get it replaced soon.

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Get a meter or a test light and check if power is at glow plug when the engine is running and the lamp is on.

auctioneer dave

Equipment
L3600, LA680, backhoe attachment
Feb 18, 2014
boaz ky
Where is this relay located that your are talking about. my L3600 is doing the same thing with the light.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The relay is on the left hand side under the dash, I just don't know if you can get to it under the hood or if you have to pull the dash panel out.

Attachments

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Had the same thing happen on a different model machine. Change out the timer and/or relay--may be two different 'boxes' on your unit.

Make a deal with your dealer to return the one you don't need after testing --by installing--one at the time to be certain which you do need. Unlikely both bad at once.

With the glow plugs continuously on you may notice battery being drained if you make a lot of short trips on your machine--alternator can't keep up with the battery being discharged if machine is run just a little bit at the time.

Running with glowplugs continuously energized won't hurt them--at least didn't on mine for a hundred hours or so until got back to where could get it under control.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Thanks for the advice. I haven't got back to it yet but plan to do something with it this week.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Replaced the GP controller and it works perfect. Getting to it is a trick but I am now an expert. I wish I would have thought to take pics. Had to loosen the instrument panel and cowling to get in there.