Dang plastic grill

tlefire

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100, L2350, L2501
May 18, 2017
talladega alabama
After polking a hole about the size of a quarter in my grill pushing up brush, I decided to do something about it.

Found some metal mesh under the barn, a cut here, weld there, and a little paint, maybe stop anymore holes. Why Kubota doesn't do it with their brush guards is beyond me.:confused:

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That is a good question, I guess someone figures that nothing like that happens in the real world

geoff

Equipment
b2410 tractor, FM90 topper,RS1200 cultivator,bearcat 4 inch chipper,b1610.
Jul 7, 2017
essex uk.
That's a tidy bit of work, got me thinking of making something similar for mine as it's always getting clogged with thistle seed this time of year.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I always admire the work done by those of you who can weld and do other metal work. I had some brush to move with my pallet forks and there is a big hole in the pallet forks through which branches can poke, so this is what I did with what I could find as leftovers in my shed...not nearly as elegant! And not very sturdy, but at least it would slow them down...:eek:

Attachments

tlefire

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100, L2350, L2501
May 18, 2017
talladega alabama
Thanks for the kind words geoff.......

sheepfarmer.....do what I did. About 25 years ago I found a small 220 volt stick welder at a tool sale. Can't remember the name, but one of those that set up in a National Guard building or such. Had a price tag of $35.00. Took it up to the cashier and ask if it was any good. He ask what I was going to weld. I told him just fixing tractor implements when they break down. He said as long as I didn't weld for 8 hours a day, it would be just fine. That was some 25 years ago and it's still going strong. Then I taught myself to weld. Ain't pretty by no means, but never had a weld to break. Besides, I'm a good grinder. :D

I have a friend who welded for the government for 35 years and he has help me along and will let me use his good welders when I need to.

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
Tlefire, good job! Real nice looking grille. It does make you wonder why they make it plastic. Or have nothing else in place to protect it. Bet then if they did, it would be an expensive accessory or add on. But. You made your own like a mcgiver! And be feeling accomplished with that. Sheepfarmer, you too, although that looks redneckish! Lol. But I'm sure it does the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
That looks nice and all, but how are you going to fold the grill guard when you need to open the hood?

tlefire

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100, L2350, L2501
May 18, 2017
talladega alabama
Pull the pin and it folds down. Two seperate pieces of wire mesh, one on top part that folds down and one on the stationary bottom piece.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sheepfarmer, you absolutely amaze me. The things you do on you own, by yourself.

Not many folks of your gender can come close.

I have a neighbor who, while visiting with him and his wife, tells me and my wife he has an IQ of 164 and two Master degrees. Yet he couldn't figure out how to attach a clamp of some sort to the front of a bicycle to hold the brake cable housing.

Your contributions to the forum in reference to the new engines is beyond me. I can't keep up.

Don't worry about the elegance of your fabrication skills. When you take what you have and make it do what you need for it to do, you have succeeded. Thanks for your contributions! len

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks D2, around here it is all baling twine construction, you'd be surprised what can be done with it.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
That is a very nice grill guard. I know I could not do that with my stick welder, but I have been wanting to take some welding classes and buy a mig welder. Perhaps that will be a future project for me.