Damaged body work

altamontfarms

Equipment
M5-111
Jan 23, 2021
Fort Myers, FL
I damaged the bonnet on my M5. It is functional and my lights work, but my OCD about things being right is going to get to me eventually. Before i head to the dealer and pay top $ for new parts, can you recommend any sources for used parts?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I can't help except but suggest your do you best to resolve the OCD issue...:ROFLMAO:

Any chance an automotive body shop might be able to fix it cheaper than a new part cost? Might not look right inside, but the surface might be made perfect again...just a second serious thought...

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Bonnet ???You mean hood,,, Since no pictures, I would say take it off and try to hammer it out first a little bondo a rattle can and you too can say YEP I mucked it up and I fixed it!!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Pictures would help...
In Canada, complete upper hood/bonnet is $3000 !!! That does NOT include the grille ,of course.....well, according to the picture...
Can't buy JUST the tin 'shell' for some reason ( $$$$ ???? )

OP is in Florida, but could be a Brit ExPat.......

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I damaged the bonnet on my M5. It is functional and my lights work, but my OCD about things being right is going to get to me eventually. Before i head to the dealer and pay top $ for new parts, can you recommend any sources for used parts?
Any body shop in the Ft. Myers area should be able to repair that hood for you.
Be absolutely certain that they get a good paint match though!

Last edited:

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Not sure about used parts.
If you have insurance on your tractor you may want to explore that option... depending on your deductible.
I guess it depends how old it is and how fussy you are that it looks like new.

altamontfarms

Equipment
M5-111
Jan 23, 2021
Fort Myers, FL
Thanks. I’ll try to answer the questions in no particular order.

1) not Brit, Not a Florida native, California, but my wife is so I am half human.
2) Bonnet… just going off what is in the Kubota parts catalog. Hood, yes.
3) not repairable. This isn’t one of those “it’ll buff out” things. I was clearing some land on my farm and a downed tree came up into the hood and then racked under tractor, taking out hydraulic lines in the process. I repaired the lines and replaced the mangled hydraulic and transmission filters (needed service so that worked out). The hard lines for supply and return to the forward valves were twisted up like a pretzel, so i cut them and welded on new fittings to attach new extended hose lines to, and it worked out really well. I used a chain winch to pull the mounting bracket for my front valves back into alignment, $400 in Super UDT2 later, i was back in business. The hood side panel is mangled, it looks like a tree ran up into it :)
4) I can probably hammer my light brackets back into shape, but I may have some small parts to replace in addition to the body work.
5) Less concerned about paint match. The Florida sun has already taken a toll on Kubota orange .
6) the front screen is pretty much gone, I am concerned about debris getting sucked into the radiator. I already have enough of a challenge keeping that thing functioning well in our hot climate after the dry season dust.
7) Insurance. We had a lot of claims after Hurricane Ian. I don’t want to run anything more through insurance, we are already seeing premiums go up.

Thanks, I will probably head over to my dealer and price out new parts. I figure it will cost me $2,500.
973E51CF-5FD5-4216-A0A1-D26CBECD4DAB.png

altamontfarms

Equipment
M5-111
Jan 23, 2021
Fort Myers, FL
I wish I had taken pictures of the hydraulic lines. Within 5 minutes the tractor had lost all of the hydraulic fluid and was inoperable. I climbed under and looked in amazement at how bad everything appeared. I walked back through 20 acres of pasture and called it a day.

• Wow

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I wish I had taken pictures of the hydraulic lines. Within 5 minutes the tractor had lost all of the hydraulic fluid and was inoperable. I climbed under and looked in amazement at how bad everything appeared. I walked back through 20 acres of pasture and called it a day.
Horrible story!
I feel for you,......but at least, you were not hurt!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
A good bodyman can get it back to OK, a pro WILL get it back to near showroom. The 'kid' next door is a phenomenal(sp) !! He's taken mangled ,horribly twisted wrecks and 'somehow' bends here,twists there, cut,out, weld in tin and you'd never know it wasn't 'OEM'. He only goes through a gallon of 'bondo' every 2-3 years doing 30-40 vehicles. He kids about the shelf life of the stuff !
The great thing is...NO SALT... so solid real steel, call around, gotta be a few good shops doing old cars/trucks.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Try a search engine to find a tractor wrecking yard. I could point out a few in southern Ontario. It would be helpful if you gave your location.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Try a search engine to find a tractor wrecking yard. I could point out a few in southern Ontario. It would be helpful if you gave your location.
Mikester, to discover a poster's location left click on their moniker. If there entered it when they joined it will show there.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The OP lives in Ft. Myers, FL.
Ontario, is probably a bit far to go.:ROFLMAO:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Can easily ship the hood down there...
find someone driving....
use a real shipper....
book air cargo....
lots of options these days....

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
A 'Paintless Dent Repair' person should be able to fix it quick and inexpensively. Being he can easily get to both sides, it is a breeze. Even better if you can drop it off and he can do it at his leisure between traveling jobs.
When I was a kid, my older brother dented my parents car in a parking lot. Used a toilet plunger. Pulled the dent out perfectly.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
would still like to see pictures
I needed sledge hammers to 'demangle' my 57 Willys fender..
..an 8 ounce ball pein hammer does wonders on a 2020 chevy ...