Damage to Bxpanded ripper

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I own a bx23s. I had purchased several items from bxpanded including their BH ripper. While digging out a stump I bent the ripper. Have others experienced this? I have contacted bxpanded and waiting for their reply.

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
With a sideways bend, it to me looks like you were pushing the dipper stick sideways. I don't doubt that they will give you a one-time only replacement. I would characterize this as abuse, not that it was intentional. Just curious what is the large washer that is showing on the 101_4239.JPG picture? I don't know what the quality of the steel is that they use to make the ripper, and possibly using higher quality steel would have prevented this type of bending.

Last edited:

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
no, but I must say, that's impressive. :geek:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's hard to see but ,is there no 'knife edge grind' on the front of the 'ripper' ? Something to cut a tree root ?
If you snagged a big root, I can see how the ripper could be bent, as you curl it to rip a root.

SRRGC1

Equipment
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Bxpanded has offered to provide me a new ripper for shipping cost only! Great company!

Reactions: 1 users

SRRGC1

Equipment
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
With a sideways bend, it to me looks like you were pushing the dipper stick sideways. I don't doubt that they will give you a one-time only replacement. I would characterize this as abuse, not that it was intentional. Just curious what is the large washer that is showing on the 101_4239.JPG picture? I don't know what the quality of the steel is that they use to make the ripper, and possibly using higher quality steel would have prevented this type of bending.
I have had nerve damage and surgery, so I welded a large washer to the QA pin which allows me to better grip the pin with gloves on, without dropping, usually. Very observant. The ripper is 1/2" thick and I am very surprised the 23s BH had ample power to bend that sideways. Will have to be a little more careful. And no, I have not increased the tractor pump psi pressure. Still factory.

Last edited:

SRRGC1

Equipment
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
It's hard to see but ,is there no 'knife edge grind' on the front of the 'ripper' ? Something to cut a tree roots ?
If you snagged a big root, I can see how the ripper could be bent, as you curl it to rip a root.
Yes, there is a knife type cutting edge on the ripper. I do use a grinder to maintain an edge to better cut roots. The ripper does a great job for what it is designed to do.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My BX23S has more than enough digging force without messing with the hydraulic power settings. The loader on the other hand could you some help with lifting a loaded bucket. More importantly, I would like to know what grade of steel that they are using. This is the second failure that I have seen with a BXExpanded product. It isn't that I believe that they make a poorly designed product, but I believe that the quality of the steel that they use might be inferior. I understand that they need to balance the cost of manufacturing with the selling price, however, if they were to offer an upgraded quality of steel I believe that they would be surprised at how many people would consider buying the upgraded products. Steel yield strength is the maximum stress that a material can withstand while being stretched or pulled before failing or breaking. If a BX can exert enough force to bend or tear one of its attachments, then the steel isn't suited for the purpose intended. I wonder if they are going on the thought that the BX is never going to be used in such a way as to break one of their products. The BX isn't a toy, and as such, items sold for that model tractor should be able to take the load that the BX can exert.

Watch the following video where the part fails at 5:45

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have seen one or two reports of bent rippers online somewhere...maybe on TBN and/or YouTube. I have also seen the video DustyRustly posted too. I believe in all instances, BXpanded offered to replace the parts.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
That style of ripper is meant to concentrate all the force into a very small surface area. Something's gotta give. Usually it's the root, sometimes not. I'm glad to see the ripper bend as opposed to your boom or BH attachment points, or subframe, or link pins, etc. I'm guessing they use the appropriate strength of steel on purpose.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I was really surprised when I bent the rippers on a heavy duty Bush Hog brand box blade. That's what can happen, I learned, when thick steel meets big immovable tree roots. Still seems wrong! But no. It is an education. Thick burly steel, plus speed, meets immovable object. Something has gotta give. And it's not going to be the deeply anchored thick root.

I am real impressed by my ripper from Heavy Hitch, slides right into the receiver. Looks unbreakable. But I know now it isn't . . .

SRRGC1

Equipment
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Received my new replacement ripper for shipping costs only. I am impressed with bxpanded service.

Reactions: 2 users