Daily Chuckle

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
If you press Enter between operations, the Windows calculator will assume you are grouping the addition and then multiplying the result. If have it set up right, it’ll show you how it’s solving what you type. If it makes an error, then the input is flawed.
I had to switch my MS calculator over to scientific function for it to come up with the correct answer. The default (standard) calculator came up with 100, the scientific came up with 55.

The standard calculator appears to treat each operation as equal, where the scientific takes order of operations into consideration.

Being old school the orders of operations was something that was drilled into us.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I had to switch my MS calculator over to scientific function for it to come up with the correct answer. The default (standard) calculator came up with 100, the scientific came up with 55.

The standard calculator appears to treat each operation as equal, where the scientific takes order of operations into consideration.

Being old school the orders of operations was something that was drilled into us.
Well I guess that explains why I didn’t understand a wrong answer from Calc. I never use it in anything other than scientific mode. I’m a retired engineer, so like precise answers and I’m usually doing something a little more complicated than the subject problem if I bother starting MS calculator. I rarely bother with electronics for basic calculations. I learned my geometry and trig skills with a slide rule in high school. Maybe basic mode Calc has been reprogrammed for common core math?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Well I guess that explains why I didn’t understand a wrong answer from Calc. I never use it in anything other than scientific mode. I’m a retired engineer, so like precise answers and I’m usually doing something a little more complicated than the subject problem if I bother starting MS calculator. I rarely bother with electronics for basic calculations. I learned my geometry and trig skills with a slide rule in high school. Maybe basic mode Calc has been reprogrammed for common core math?
Why does it have to be mathematics related?

Say A is for Apples
and B is for Bananas
and C is for coconuts

All placed in a box.

What's in the box at the end?

Must be 15 apples, 10 bananas, and 4 coconuts. So the total would 29 items. BUT the X indicates something might be going on (probably implies xxx). The Bananas and Coconuts might be attempting to mate. Possible? I don't know. BUt what if?

So the answer is not calculable mathematically, since there is an unknown or two. One, can the bananas and coconuts produce offspring? And two, what is the time frame being considered?

Furthermore, will the apples feel left out and interfere with the mating process, out of spite if nothing else?

Obviously this was trick question designed to expose the naive among us. At least one of us has seen through the deception!

Last edited:
  • Dislike

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Why does it have to be mathematics related?

Say A is for Apples
and B is for Bananas
and C is for coconuts

All placed in a box.

What's in the box at the end?

Must be 15 apples, 10 bananas, and 4 coconuts. So the total would 29 items. BUT the X indicates something might be going on (probably implies xxx). The Bananas and Coconuts might be attempting to mate. Possible? I don't know. BUt what if?

So the answer is not calculable mathematically, since there is an unknown or two. One, can the bananas and coconuts produce offspring? And two, what is the time frame being considered?

Furthermore, will the apples feel left out and interfere with the mating process, out of spite if nothing else?

Obviously this was trick question designed to expose the naive among us. At least one of us has seen through the deception!
I like your math. I hire you at $20 per hour and you work 8 hours a day for 5 days a week, so I owe you $33. Who needs those mathematical order of operation rules.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I like your math. I hire you at $20 per hour and you work 8 hours a day for 5 days a week, so I owe you $33. Who needs those mathematical order of operation rules.
Might consider it if the xxx is part of the responsibilities...LOL

• Haha

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A psychiatrist received a postcard from one of his clients who was vacationing in Spain. “I’m having a great time!” “Wish you were here to tell me why.”

-----------------------------------------------

Little Johnny watched, fascinated, as his mother smoothed cold cream on her face. "Why do you do that, mommy?" he asked.

"To make myself beautiful," said his mother, who then began removing the cream with a tissue.

"What's the matter?" asked Little Johnny. "Giving up?"

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
fishing cost.jpg

Reactions: 1 users