D950 cylinder 2 misfire

Cletus88

Aug 25, 2019
Plainwell, MI
I am in the process of repowering a farmall cub with a motor I pulled out of a f2100 mower. When it was in the mower it would smoke a lot of white when it was cold (my wife named it ol Smoky) It would misfire while it smoked and eventually clear up and run fine. This would take about five to ten minutes to get it cleared up. I pulled the exhaust manifold off and saw it was only the number two cylinder.

I sent the motor off to be rebuilt. It was bored, crank turned, valve job, and the head was magnafluxed for cracks. Nothing was done to the injector pump but I did buy new injectors.

I got everything buttoned up on it today. I started it today and the same smoke is coming out of the number two cylinder. It is on an engine stand with no coolant so I only ran it about 30 seconds to watch the oil pressure climb and make sure everything was ok.

I am at a loss as to what to check now. I am not familiar with the injector pump on this engine. Is that where I should go next? Any help would be appreciated.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
Check the delivery valve on top of the injection pump. This is under the injector line. 19 mm nut. Be sure it tight .If it is lose the cylinder will misfire. You will need to remove the lines to get a box end wrench on it.
Good luck. Lance

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Yes, first SWAP the injector w/ the other cylinder & recheck..
Keep in mind tho, the injector only delivers the fuel sent to it BY THE PUMP..
The top nut on the pump MUST BE TORQUED TO 30-35 FTLBS..

Cletus88

Aug 25, 2019
Plainwell, MI
I checked the top nut and it was tight. I decided to pull the pump out to see if anything obvious was damaged. All the springs for the lifters seemed solid with no slop. It looks like someone has messed with this pump. The two large slotted screws were mucked up from someone using the wrong size screw driver. Am I best off replacing my pump or sending it off to have it rebuilt? I am not afraid to tear into it but I can not find any useful information on the pump.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Those 2 large screws HOLD the equal delivery fuel setting screws..
If they're buggered up, its pretty obvious someone was adjusting/screwing with the equal del. screws.. & that's prob. where your problem lays..??
A quick google search shows them at the 450.00 range
Just google>> D950 injection pump..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes either rebuild or replace, save the old pump if you replace!

Cletus88

Aug 25, 2019
Plainwell, MI
Thanks for the advice. I acquired a pump off a d850 from a local shop for $20. I was told it is the same pump. Do I reuse my existing shim with the other pump?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the advice. I acquired a pump off a d850 from a local shop for $20. I was told it is the same pump. Do I reuse my existing shim with the other pump?
Yes exactly, that is how you set the timing. :D

Clean the block, the shims (ok to leave them stacked if they are stuck together), and the Pump, then install with no extra sealer (as that will change the timing).

Last edited: