D782 UTV Repower project questions

xtriggerman

Equipment
B2150, Ford NH 555E, 8Kw single cylinder oil hammer generator
Nov 26, 2022
Tennessee
Hello folks, Long time diesel fan here and owner of an old B2150 for nearly 9 years. I'v been interested in a Kubota RTV for a few years but they are pretty expensive even the beat up ones I'v looked at with rusted through boxes and floors. So I ran across a Kymco UXV 500 (Yamaha Rino Clone) with a bad engine for pretty reasonable coin and have all ways toyed with the idea of repowering one with an oil hammer. I really like my B2150 but what I need to consider is a smaller compact unit that can be frame welded into the kymco chassis. On paper so far the GR2110/20 look like good candidates but as they say, the devil is in the details.
1) do the out put shafts of the tranny both turn at the same rpm rate?
2) do they both turn in linear clock wise rotation or counter?
Tying in the Kubota hydrostatic trans into the 4X4 dif shafts is of my first concern. If these specs match up it would be a GR2110 or 20 as a donner vehicle to the project. Gearing would be the next part since I need no more than some 15 mph as a property trail machine but the factory max speed of 6.2 mph on the GR2110 would need a gearing up at some point of the drive train. Taller wheels is one basic way around it if it comes to that. Originally, the Kymco has a 500cc 33hp CVT drive train with a towing load of 1200 lbs. It can carry 2 adults and 418lbs in the dump box. Repowered with the 21hp D782 would be a great match for an efficient woods machine on firewood patrol and Venison hauler. Kymco Taiwan is a major parts subcontractor for Honda since 1992. Being retired and with decades of experiance in custom gunsmithing, Making parts, welding and general fabrication is one of the most fun things I like to do. But some things are not worth trying to over come. Thats why I hope some of you guys can fill in those blanks for me. I'm all ears! Thanks

xtriggerman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2022
Tennessee
Well, a bit more research finds the 2120's D782 is a good engine candidate as long as I can find a stand alone Hydrostatic drive box with front counter clock wise out put shaft and rear clockwise out put shaft. This is the rub since most sub compacts are hydro transaxles and anything above is in the tank like farm tractor class. I'm hoping a tractor mechanic familiar with the wide variety of compacts would have a model in mind that powered a 4x4 rear axle with a stand alone hydro box. If not then on the other end of the scale sits a straight up clutched manual box with a transfer case. Seems the Chinese build alot of V-twin water and air cool diesel engines that are narrow like the single cylinder units that are so common in this type of UTV. Those would be in the right configuration for a CVT transmission, but they can't be imported since they have no Gov required emissions rating. Obviously, A repower with Kubota is my first choice, then a Yanmar...... who knows!

armyaviatr

Equipment
Kubota BX2680, Kubota RTV X1100
Jan 25, 2020
DELAVAN, Illinois
Some where I saw a guy in Germany who took a VW engine (diesel) and tranny and put it in a Kubota RTV 900. Maybe something like that would be a better option.

xtriggerman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2022
Tennessee
Some where I saw a guy in Germany who took a VW engine (diesel) and tranny and put it in a Kubota RTV 900. Maybe something like that would be a better option.
Thanks for the suggestion but I swore off timing "belt" TDI engines years ago. After one slipped belt in a Jetta and VW screwing me out of a bad Pasat TDI balance shaft chain that were discontinued for new idler grear set replacements........ VW? Never again. Besides its way too heavy for this light wieght Kymco.
What I have been eyeing is the Polaris Ranger diesel started out with a 3 cylinder Yanmar in about 2011 with a simple rear CVT bolted onto its bell housing. Then by 2015 they changed to a 2 cylinder Kohler, and now they have Kubota engines. Seems all 3 had different transmissions. I'm trying to keep this simple and not dump much over 5 or 6 K into it.
The early Yanmar 3TNM72-APB
(127) Overview of the 2011 Polaris RANGER Diesel - YouTube
The Kohler
(127) 2015 ranger diesel crew - YouTube

I gotta get some feed back on that Yanmar CVT unit they used. Wonder how close it is to the new ones bolted onto the Kubota powered Rangers.

xtriggerman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2022
Tennessee
Looks like this expedition into the unknown is over for now. Had quite alot of views on this question but no one with the back ground to help with a trans model that might be mated to a 3 cylinder diesel.
What has happened is a couple days ago I spoted a Perkins 20hp powered UTV on face book that was only 2 hours away. The unit has reportedly only 247 hrs on it but the glow plug circuit isnt working. It started and ran good the day I looked at it and bought it for only 64 bones. These Cub Cadets are identical to a Massy Ferguson MF20MD. Not sure exactly who makes them but the Perkins/Cat engine should be a pretty long running engine. Its pretty loud but smooth running. So it looks like my B2150 isnt going to have a new family member but at least they drink from the same troth!

Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
"64 bones" >?

$64?
$640?
$6400?
(something else that I don't understand?)

Looks like a nice unit.