D1102 Gear Timing

zuric

Equipment
L2050DT, B7000 grey mkt. ! Workbull 202 Massey,650 John Deere, 3444 Int.
Feb 12, 2017
Ava Mo.
L2050DT;
Replacing front 'freeze' plug. Need to remove idler gear. Cannot get timing marks to line up, all 3 points..have rotated engine 3-4 miles, if in gear.
What, gentlemen am I doing wrong ? Have manual///says to 'line up all timing marks'...or some such helpful information.
Please ?
Line up 'F1', TDC, what ?
Engine ran, prior to removal of front gear case, checking the freeze plug as mentioned by D2CAT.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It sounds complicated, but it really isn't.
If you look on the idler gear (center gear) there will be three sets of marks, one set will match the fuel cam the other will match the valve cam, and the other the crank (they should be one, two three dots.
Remove the idler gear, and turn the crank till it lines up with the idler, then re-remove idler, turn valve cam till marks line up, re-remove idler, turn fuel cam till it lines up then re-install idler all three marks should line up exactly, make sure you are not even one tooth off on any of them!
It will look like this (this is a D950 timing marks but i think yours are the same, if they are not the same contact me) :

Attachments

zuric

Equipment
L2050DT, B7000 grey mkt. ! Workbull 202 Massey,650 John Deere, 3444 Int.
Feb 12, 2017
Ava Mo.
Wolfman;
Thank you !! So it appears this is somewhat 'goof proof'. I have the 1 punch mark, 2 punch mark, 3 etc. also..just figured I had to have the crank/timing marks in a certain position for final installation. Your clear explanation is what I had assumed, after reading the manual..but 'assumptions' have led me down rabbit holes before.....
Better to ask from the wealth of information available herein. I thank you for taking the time to instruct the ignorant.