D1005 vs D1105

Trkr

Feb 7, 2015
Baltimore County,Md
Friend has a Kubota ZD 25 front cut mower,bad D1005 engine,found a decent D1105 to put in it.From the research I've done,doesn't look like there's any physical differences in installing the D1105.Anyone here know of anything different I'd have to be aware of?Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep should be pretty much a direct bolt up.
You might have to swap throttle plates, Oil pan, intake, exhaust, or front gear case covers depending how the the other motor was set up.

But one caution:
There are several versions of motors, and some versions are set up to run a single speed, so you would need to swap components like governor to make them run properly.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Wolfman hit the nail on the head-and squarely.

There are a ton of different versions of a particular main model of Kubota engine. For instance a D1005 is used on some refrigerator units, generators, pumps, lawn mowers, etc. And there will be more to the model numbers, like for instance D1105-E2M1, and that sort of thing. The rest of the model number will dictate what else is on/in the engine.

The governor may be different. The pump might be different. Injector nozzles, lift pump or no lift pump, etc etc. So you'll want to be darn sure that what you get will interchange beforehand-and if it won't, can the 1005 stuff fit in the 1105 engine?? I ran into this with a M7040SUHD a while back. V3307 engine but I learned quickly that there are about 11 or 12 different versions of the same V3307. We ordered what the parts breakdown called for. Got it in. $8500 engine. Wrong engine (no turbo and no place for it and it's oiling system). Called kubota-they said it should be right (and they were wrong). I called my district supervisor and gave them the predicament. Says the book is right but the engine is wrong (duh?)...said he'd send us the correct engine. New one shows up. $8400. Wrong engine again but different than teh first one, but still a V3307-just a different version of it. Called another guy, and got in touch with someone higher up and found out that the one we needed was indeed rare...he found one and we got it, that one was $8700. So we were sitting on $25,000 worth of engines and had no use for them. Lesson learned. Kubota admitted that their books are incorrect on that deal and the ended up eating the shipping costs both ways, thankfully.

Point is....just because a D1005 and D1105 look similar doesn't mean a thing...they could be totally different. Or they could be the same. The only way to know for sure is to put them side by side and compare each piece, that or look at the parts books and compare part numbers. I'd sure hate to see someone pay good money for an engine just to find out it won't work.

Trkr

Feb 7, 2015
Baltimore County,Md
Haven't got the new one yet,put from the pics,it doesn't look a lot different.Came out of a Toro front cut mower.Different fan,flywheel I'm sure,and the front pulley where the powershaft connects looks different.Pulled the front pulley off my old one,it's splined,hope the replacement is also.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Haven't got the new one yet,put from the pics,it doesn't look a lot different.Came out of a Toro front cut mower.Different fan,flywheel I'm sure,and the front pulley where the powershaft connects looks different.Pulled the front pulley off my old one,it's splined,hope the replacement is also.
The fact that it came out of another mower eliminates 90% of the possible issues for you right off the bat, so I'm betting you'll be golden! ;)

Trkr

Feb 7, 2015
Baltimore County,Md
From,the pictures,the obvious things I see different that will be swapped are the oilpan,flywheel,front drive pulley,exhaust manifold.Throttle plate and front cover look the same from what I can see.When I get things going,I'll post back.Thanks for the help.

Trkr

Feb 7, 2015
Baltimore County,Md
Swapped what I said,manifolds,oilpan,valve cover,flywheel,front pulley,bolted right in.Replacement motor fired right up,runs great.I'm just doing this repair for a fellow.He only paid $1300. for a mint condition ZD 25 mower with only 600 hours,but bad engine,govt. auction.
$1400. for the replacement engine,a couple of bucks for me to make the swap,he now has a real nice Kubota front cut for a pretty decent price,everybody happy.:)