Cross bar frame for middle buster/chissel?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My tractor and related projects have been on hold for a while, but hopefully I'll be back to them soon. My son and I have been talking about putting in a modest garden, and while my tractor will be complete overkill, might as well use it if I had the implements. Well, today I picked up one of the basic implements just because I stumbled across it for a good deal. It's a general Class 1 3 point frame that uses a square cross bar turned on angle. The one it came with is 2.25" square solid, about 6' long. It also came with 2 shanks with middle buster plows mounted, and a pair of double ended chisel points that will also mount to the shanks.

First off, does this style of plow have a name? And it seems like a nice versatile system, if you don't mind futzing with changing the feet on the shanks rather than having multiple 3 point setups. Is this a good setup? Back many moons ago when I lived and worked around farms I remember seeing sets like this, just don't know anything about them.

Also, I don't think my B2150 is up to pulling both of those plows, at least not until I've gotten the lot loosened up quite bit. And as it came it's wide enough to prove problematic navigating my fruit trees, gates, etc. But I may want it 2 wide (it could actually go 3 I suppose) later on, so I don't want to cut that expensive long solid cross bar. So of course my next question is, does it need to be solid? I'm no engineer, but by far most of the strength is provided by the outer material. And a larger "bar" will fit the frame and shank brackets. So I'm thinking with a single centered shank mounted, it should be fine with a common 2.5" square 1/4" wall tube (like I have in my stash). Solid bar these days is going to be EXPENSIVE, and replacing the one that came with it is likely more than I paid for the plow setup. Thoughts?

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
B7100d. Here what I did for my garden and truck patch. Found an older Dearborn 2 row cultivator (7ft). Came with all shanks, even fenders. Scored it for $150. Disassembled unit, then took frame to bandsaw. Now I have two cultivators, one 4ft ripper, one 3ft 1-row culti/hiller.

Benefit is these frame are slotted. Centered origninal 3pt to cultivator, had to fab the other set to fit. Used old parts from a junk horse drawn cultivate. Did buy new shanks at the local ag supplier to replace originals, just a more aggressive setup. Figured I'm out max 250 for one now two, multipurpose, adjustable cultivators. The b7100 pulls these with ease, fairly deep too. Awesome cultivating my sweet corn this summer instead of the ole tiller. Good luck.

Last edited: